Chong hopes to embody diverse Duke experience

Striving to represent the diverse voices of Blue Devils, senior Jane Chong would focus on improving Duke's financial aid programs, advancing campus development and broadening global initiatives if selected as this year's undergraduate Young Trustee.

As Chair of the Honor Council, Co-chair of the Undergraduate Judicial Board and member of several other campus organizations, Chong--one of three finalists for the undergraduate Young Trustee position-said she has grappled with a wide range of issues in her varied leadership roles.

"Duke is my home now, but I also want it to continue to be a part of my life," Chong said. "And I want to continue to be a part of its lifeblood."

Along with her roles on Honor Council and UJB, Chong has been a member of The Chronicle's independent Editorial Board, a Chronicle columnist, a member of the Duke rowing team and a facilitator for Common Ground. She was also awarded funding from the Kenan Institute for Ethics to create the documentary "Beyond These Walls: North Carolina and Race Divide."

Chong said she has taken advantage of the many activities available at Duke, a quality which she said makes her a well-rounded candidate for the Young Trustee position.

"I don't define myself by any particular aspect of what I do, and I don't confine myself to any perspective of Duke by what I happen to know," she said.

If selected, Chong said she would work to improve issues like providing greater outreach to prospective students, particularly those who require financial aid.

Stephen Bryan, associate dean of students and director of judicial affairs, wrote in an e-mail that Chong would bring unique insight to the Board through her understanding of academic integrity and her respect and compassion for students.

Her ability to speak eloquently to faculty and administration is shown through her roles on Honor Council and UJB, said UJB Vice Chair Toni Helbling, a senior.

"Jane has a lot of presence," she said. "When I encounter her leading a meeting or leading a hearing she handles it with a lot of poise."

In her four years at Duke, Chong said she has spent much of her time reflecting on what the University means to her and what can make Duke a better place. This forward-thinking attitude has helped Chong work effectively with other students and administrators on campus, Helbling said.

"She has a very upbeat personality. The tenor of conversations that she is a part of tend to be positive," Helbling said. "She makes a big effort to make engaged but constructive conversation."

Chong's involvement in many campus activities makes her a model for the type of undergraduate student Duke hopes to attract, Bryan noted.

Her experiences on campus and leadership roles are different from those we have seen from Young Trustees in previous years, Helbling said.

"Jane offers a really different set of skills that perhaps haven't been as well-represented [in past Young Trustees]," she added. "The variety might be beneficial to creating a full representation of the student body on the Board."

After graduation in the Spring, Chong said she hopes to spend a year doing humanitarian service abroad before applying to law school.

Share and discuss “Chong hopes to embody diverse Duke experience” on social media.