Asack to move from quarterback

Senior Zack Asack would have been the oldest of Duke's quarterbacks next season, but head coach David Cutcliffe announced Wednesday that Asack, who started behind center as a freshman in 2005, will switch positions before next season.

"I won't announce position changes prior to spring practice because there's going to be a few.... We're going to give Zack a chance to get on the field at another position," said Cutcliffe, who refused to elaborate further on the position switch.

Asack was suspended for the entire 2006 season, and returned in 2007 as Thaddeus Lewis' backup. He played in every game but one this year, and when Lewis was sidelined with an injury, he started in losses to Clemson and Virginia Tech. For the season, Asack finished 52-of-172 for 162 yards, two touchdowns and six interceptions.

Asack's position switch makes room in the depth chart for freshman Sean Renfree, who redshirted this season, and incoming freshman Sean Schroeder, who signed his Letter of Intent Wednesday. Renfree is expected to start the season as the backup to Lewis, who is on track to be a four-year starter at quarterback.

Tar Heels pull in top ACC class

Cutcliffe was pleased with his class, but the happiest head coach in the Triangle Wednesday might have been North Carolina's Butch Davis, who hauled in the nation's No. 5 class, according to Scout.com. The Tar Heels pulled one five-star and 10 four-stars en route to the best class in the ACC.

"North Carolina is going to own the state for a while," said Mike Farrell, Rivals' ACC analyst. "Butch Davis and the whole staff there is great at recruiting, and they've got a lot to sell. They're a sleeping giant in football. They've got the facility, fan base, academics. You name it, they have it."

-by Ben Cohen

Share and discuss “Asack to move from quarterback” on social media.