Shepard gets a second term as alumni VP

Robert Shepard has been reappointed vice president for alumni affairs and development, President Richard Brodhead announced Thursday. This will be his second five-year term in the post.

"Bob's creative and tireless leadership of our fundraising efforts, combined with a re-energized outreach to alumni and friends, have been key factors in Duke's success," Brodhead wrote in an e-mail to faculty. "In these most challenging times, Duke is fortunate to have Bob Shepard at the helm of our fundraising efforts."

The University's annual fundraising totals increased in each of Shepard's four years of leadership. Last fiscal year, Shepard brought in a record $385.7 million in charitable gifts from more than 102,000 donors. He also oversaw the successful Financial Aid Initiative, which netted more than $308 million in new endowment for financial aid at its conclusion Dec. 31.

Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations, said the economic climate makes it a difficult time to raise public money, but added that he is confident in Shepard's abilities to meet the challenges.

"He's been responsible for some of the most significant fundraising in Duke history, and it's important now more than ever that someone of [Shepard's] caliber and energy will be [leading the effort]," Schoenfeld said. "Bob is a fabulous colleague, a tremendous fundraiser and someone who has really led the transformation of Alumni Affairs at Duke.

Share and discuss “Shepard gets a second term as alumni VP” on social media.