Fresh off inauguration spot, Montero to improvise at Duke

Gabriela Montero would have one hell of a college essay.

Born in Caracas, Venezuela, Montero started playing the piano at just 18 months. She began lessons at age four, participated in her first recital at five and made her concerto debut at eight.

Now, Montero is being nominated for Grammys, playing concert halls across the globe and wowing audiences with her unusual, improvisational-based piano skills. Montero, unlike many of her classical counterparts, will often ask the audience for musical suggestions-and then compose them on the spot.

"The music exists within me and just comes to me," she said. "I never practice before my improvisational concerts."

Aaron Greenwald, director of Duke Performances, specifically sought out Montero because of this unique talent.

"She shows such a breadth of recital tradition and will give a great insight into what is happening in classical music today," he said.

Last week, Montero, alongside Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman and Anthony McGill, played the John Williams piece "Air and Simple Gifts" at Barack Obama's inauguration.

"I was so excited to be invited to be a part of it," she said. It was an amazing moment for all of us."

Although she had met and played for many politicians in the past, Montero said she was "really blown away by [Obama]."

The inaugural performance received its fair share of controversy when it was released that the four musicians had recorded the piece beforehand and what the audience heard was not live. Montero explained the situation, citing that the recording was necessary "for the purpose of sound," as the cold weather would have been detrimental to the instruments.

Aside from her performance, Montero will teach a master class on piano today that is open to the public. Three Duke students will play for Montero, and then she will coach them on their technique. She said that she hopes to establish a "personal connection" with each of the students and give specific advice to improve their recital skills.

"It's always great to play with students and play in front of a younger audience," Montero, 38, said. "I hope to continue to motivate students to play classical music."

Share and discuss “Fresh off inauguration spot, Montero to improvise at Duke” on social media.