Few opens, with minor headaches

Last Spring the University launched an ambitious project to overhaul one of Duke's dorms in just seven months.

Twenty-five million dollars and more than 320,000 man-hours later, the renovation of Few Quadrangle was completed in time for students to move in for the Spring semester.

"We are thrilled," said Joe Gonzalez, associate dean for residential life. "It was a very ambitious project in many ways and to have those ambitions realized feels good."

The dorm's air conditioning system was replaced and the amount of electricity available to each room was doubled during construction. In addition, the building was brought up to handicap accessibility standards set by the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Officials noted that the biggest changes to Few-the upgrades to the electrical and cooling systems-are hidden behind the walls of the dorm.

Common rooms are now spread throughout Few's floors, instead of being concentrated on the first floor. When selective living groups return to Few in the Fall, they will not receive common rooms.

Gonzalez said these changes are designed to encourage more students to make use of the rooms and to foster interaction between independent and affiliated students.

No SLGs have sections in Few this semester, but four groups-Alpha Epsilon Pi, Phi Delta Theta, Prism and Roundtable-will return in the Fall.

"It will be interesting to observe the dynamics of Few without the SLGs [this semester]," Gonzalez said.

Junior Buddy Marshburn, back from a semester spent in coastal Australia, said he is looking forward to living with both affiliated and independent students.

"It's cool to have a big mix of everyone," he said. "My bests buds are all in different fraternities, but we're all in Few together."

Although his mattress is 4 inches too large for his bed, Marshburn had only accolades for his dorm. Many students complained that their mattresses were too large for their beds. Lynch said Duke ordered standard 80-inch mattresses for all 437 beds in Few because that size is used throughout campus. But these mattresses only fit Few's shorter beds if students do not lower their beds from the raised position.

All the mattresses in Few will be replaced in about two weeks, Lynch said, adding that all remaining problems should be corrected within that same time period.

"I love it man," Marshburn said. "[But] it doesn't compare to living 100 yards from the beach."

Indeed, some students found cold showers and other nuisances upon moving into the quad.

"There's no hot water and I've had some problems with my outlets, but the room is very nice," said Jen Kozin, a junior living in Few GG.

Hot water is now flowing to all sections of the quad, said Shawhan Lynch, West Campus residential facilities manager for RLHS.

"Every semester it takes a while to get the water to circulate," she explained.

Students also noted weak or nonexistent wireless signals, but Lynch said The Office of Information Technology will be installing wireless routers throughout Few during the next week.

During a tour of the building, Gonzalez and Lynch pointed out new aspects of the quad. Improvements include cubbies for fire extinguishers to decrease vandalism and accidental damage, motion-sensing lights in all common areas and revamped bathrooms with handicap-accessible showers and toilets.

The sixth-floor common room in Few GG has also been refurbished. It offers armchairs for relaxation, new tables for studying and a panoramic view of West Campus through its tall Gothic windows. Lynch said massage chairs will be added to the room once they arrive.

Share and discuss “Few opens, with minor headaches” on social media.