Injury-riddled Duke survives another test

The memory of Hartford's 53-51 upset over Duke was still fresh as the No. 12 Blue Devils traveled to Western Kentucky Friday, and it lingered throughout the game, when the Hilltoppers stayed with injury-laden Duke for the entire contest.

Unlike the week before, though, Duke, playing with a short bench, came up with just enough plays to avoid being stunned again as it held off a late surge to win 59-56. Junior guard Keturah Jackson made two free throws with 10 seconds left to push the Blue Devils' lead to three, and the visitors were finally able to breathe a sigh of relief when Kenzie Rich airballed a 3-pointer at the buzzer to end the game.

And while the Blue Devils (4-1) have already struggled with adversity in this young season, they had to battle injuries for the first time Friday. Sophomore point guard Jasmine Thomas did not play due to a strained MCL in her left knee she sustained in practice Wednesday, and she is expected to be out for the next two weeks. Her backup, freshman Chelsea Hopkins, also went down early in the second half with a meniscus injury, the extent of which was still being evaluated Sunday night.

Consequently, the offense never found its rhythm, as Duke shot 38 percent from the field. But despite the offensive troubles, the Blue Devils scored just enough to win-which they couldn't do against Hartford.

"We overcame tremendous adversity tonight," head coach Joanne P. McCallie said. "The women were playing positions they had never played before, and it was really exciting to see people do what they did. When there are two point guards missing, the continuity of offense isn't exactly going to be stellar."

Junior forward Joy Cheek led Duke with 12 points on 6-of-11 shooting. Cheek started the first three games of the season, but came off the bench in Duke's victory over Southern in the DePaul Invitational. She returned to the starting lineup with Thomas out, and made the best of her opportunity, adding three steals and two blocks in 32 minutes.

Because of the weak offensive effort, Duke outmaneuvered the Hilltoppers (3-2) with a stingy defense that has been a mainstay this season. Senior guard Abby Waner grabbed a team-high six steals in spite of early foul trouble, which forced her to play more tentative than usual with four fouls. Duke nabbed 15 steals and forced 26 turnovers. Western Kentucky only managed four steals.

The Hilltoppers had four opportunities late in the game to take the lead against the Blue Devils, but Duke crashed the defensive boards and prevented any second chance opportunities.

"Defensive rebounding was the key for us," McCallie said. "I know rebounding wise we didn't dominate, and you can see that by the stats, but I think we did dominate more at key times."

Share and discuss “Injury-riddled Duke survives another test” on social media.