No. 8 Duke opens year in style over No. 14 OSU

Two top-15 teams, two of the nation's best players, a career performance and a second-half comeback-it was a game more reminiscent of March than November.

And instead of moving on in the NCAA Tournament, the Blue Devils simply passed their first test of the year.

Senior center Chante Black's career-high 28 points-along with a crucial adjustment at the half that ignited a 20-0 run-propelled No. 8 Duke to a 77-68 victory over No. 14 Oklahoma State in Cameron Indoor Stadium Friday in Duke's season opener.

Duke trailed 44-35 at intermission after Oklahoma State's Andrea Riley dominated the first half, scoring 20 points and placing control of the game firmly in the Cowgirls' hands-until Duke wrestled it away by switching to a stifling 3-2 zone at halftime.

"We talked at halftime about transition points-there were 18 of them on the board for Oklahoma State and they had 44 points on the board, and that was just ridiculous and not the kind of basketball that we play," head coach Joanne P. McCallie said. "I think the team pretty much felt the same way and was ready to get out there and play the second half."

McCallie's decision to play a 3-2 zone defense instead of man-to-man tipped the game's balance in the Blue Devils' favor once the second half began. The defensive switch not only disrupted Riley's offensive rhythm, but also provided the impetus for Duke's comeback run that ultimately put the game out of the Cowgirls' reach.

"It was definitely our defense that sparked that," senior guard Abby Waner said. "I think it was a smart adjustment on our part, and it's definitely something we know has to be a go-to in order to get some energy going on the offensive end."

Junior forward Joy Cheek's 3-pointer 29 seconds into the second period catalyzed that offensive energy, and Black took over from there, scoring 10 points in a five-minute span. Her layup with 12:54 remaining capped off a 21-2 run and put Duke (2-0) ahead 56-46, forcing Oklahoma State (0-1) to call a timeout.

Waner, the team's sharpshooter, only made two baskets on the night, but they came at arguably the game's most critical time. Both were 3-pointers on consecutive possessions that sustained the run and sent the home crowd into a frenzy.

The Blue Devils eventually pushed their lead to 13 and never trailed again, but the Cowgirls whittled the margin down to five with 2:43 left after a three-minute field goal drought for Duke.

Black made sure Oklahoma State came no closer for the rest of the contest by knocking down a jumper at the 2:17 mark.

She could not seem to miss in the second half, shooting 8-for-9 from the field. Her three blocks in the period were also a testament to the Blue Devils' increased defensive intensity.

"I thought we sort of messed around in the first half," McCallie said. "We didn't defend as well, and in the second half, holding them to no layups made, one transition 3 and 24 points was more up our alley."

And by winning a game that resembled an NCAA Tournament battle more than a typical season opener against an overmatched opponent, Duke already knows it can compete with the nation's best.

"Anytime you can have a March game in November-you just got to love that," McCallie said. "I don't think you can ask for anything better in terms of starting out, coming back and staying together as a team."

Share and discuss “No. 8 Duke opens year in style over No. 14 OSU” on social media.