Man arrested for trespassing on East, West

A man was arrested early Tuesday morning for trespassing in Crowell Quadrangle three days after being jailed for trespassing in Bell Tower Residence Hall.

The man, who is not affiliated with the University, was reported to Duke University Police Department by a faculty member for suspicious behavior in a Bell Tower commons room around 10 a.m. Saturday, Maj. Gloria Graham wrote in an e-mail. Officers determined he had slept overnight in the dormitory and transported him to Durham County Jail, where he was given an unsecured $500 bond.

A Crowell Quad resident later observed a fellow student grant the same man entry to the dormitory around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday. The resident, who had received an e-mail from his residence coordinator advising students to be wary in light of the East Campus incident, followed the suspect and instructed a friend to call DUPD, Graham said. Officers responded to the call and arrested the man again.

Graham said she did not know whether the trespasser remained in jail or had posted bail.

She added that she does not see any need to tighten dormitory security in response to the trespassing incidents, noting that the suspect was let into to Crowell Quad by a student and did not appear to have forced entry into Bell Tower.

"These issues were clearly not the result of security deficiencies," she said. "All security systems can be circumvented if a person tries hard enough."

Students and faculty may have been monitoring their surroundings more closely after being notified that four computers have been stolen from dormitories since Oct. 1, Graham said. She commended the student and faculty member who reported the week's trespassing incidents, noting DUPD's slogan: "Safety is a shared responsibility."

"The residents of these buildings know, for the most part, who belongs and who doesn't," Graham said. "We want everyone to take the initiative that was taken in these two incidents."

Share and discuss “Man arrested for trespassing on East, West” on social media.