SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke seniors honored, aspire to return home

Friday night could very well mark the last time Duke's six seniors lace up their cleats together at Koskinen Stadium as the Blue Devils take on N.C. State in their regular-season finale at 7 p.m.

But the Duke players know that they can secure a chance to play at home again as a host in the NCAA tournament with a strong showing in the ACC tournament. Still, before No. 25 Duke (10-5-2, 3-2-2 in the ACC) can look ahead to either postseason tournament, it must take care of business against the Woflpack (7-8-1, 2-5) in a match that has serious implications in the conference standings.

With a win, the Blue Devils can likely lock up third place in the league, as long as No. 1 and undefeated Wake Forest topples third-place Virginia. Wth a loss and a number of other possibilities playing out, though, Duke could drop as far as sixth place in the ACC-and the Blue Devils are aware of Friday's matchup's significance.

"We know what's at stake," head coach John Kerr said. "They are a team that has gotten better as the season has gone along, and we're prepared for them."

As if positioning itself for the ACC tournament wasn't enough, Duke will also host senior night Friday. The team's departing seniors expect to see plenty of passion and intensity as possibly their last game in Koskinen plays out.

"We want to go out with a bang," senior Darrius Barnes said. "I never thought that this day would come so quickly, but we just want to keep these moments going as long as possible."

Barnes, a four-year starter and the linchpin of the defense during that period, is one of several seniors who will be leaving his signature on the Duke program at season's end.

Mike Grella, a preseason All-American who has started at forward since his freshman year, has led the Blue Devils in goals scored in each of the past three campaigns.

Midfielder Pavelid Castaneda is a three-year starter who has consistently been among the team's leader in minutes logged and is consistently praised for his contributions as a defensive midfielder.

In the second half of the year, the Blue Devil seniors have done almost everything within their power to avoid a sluggish end to their final season. Duke has gone unbeaten in its last five matches, boasting four wins and a tie-a badly needed streak after the Blue Devils seemed to fall into a midseason rut, losing to North Carolina and Florida Atlantic at home.

"Early on, our goal was to peak at this time in the season," Kerr said. "We knew we were going to face some ups and downs, but I feel like we're picking up pace at just the right time."

And if the Blue Devils can extend that up into Friday's tangle and then through the ACC tournament, they might be able to return home and try to extend it further in the NCAA tournament.

Share and discuss “Duke seniors honored, aspire to return home” on social media.