SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Blue Devils fall in ACC tourney opener

The Blue Devils entered Wednesday's ACC tournament opener at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary looking to upset fourth-seeded Boston College to advance to the conference semifinals for the first time since 2005.

But after giving up a goal to the Eagles (13-4-2) in the 13th minute, fifth-seeded Duke was never able to put the equalizer on the board and fell 1-0. Now, the Blue Devils (12-5-3) can only sit back, recuperate, and wait for the results of the NCAA selection show to determine its seeding and matchup in the College Cup.

Following a frenetic buildup in the box characteristic of the game's opening minutes, Boston College's Amy Caldwell ripped a shot off the crossbar that ricocheted into the chancing area. Forward Brooke Knowlton was able to get her head onto the floating ball to knock in the Eagles' first and only goal of the game.

The 13 minutes leading up to the strike had featured five combined shots and several strong scoring opportunities for both sides, but after Boston College scored, Duke struggled to find its offensive groove.

"We certainly had some opportunities early in the game," Blue Devils head coach Robbie Church said. "We are just having trouble finishing these chances when they present themselves. After they got that early goal, things only got tougher as they took more of a defensive style."

While the first half came to a close without further damage-Duke managed just four shots compared to the Eagles' six-the second half began differently.

The Blue Devils came out of the locker room firing, with junior Elisabeth Redmond taking the first shot of the half and Duke securing three consecutive corner kicks two possessions later.

Yet, the Blue Devils' front line was unable to put significant pressure on Boston College goalkeeper Jillian Mastroianni, who was forced to make only three saves over the 90 minutes.

The only offensive bright spot for Duke seemed to come in the game's waning moments. Of their six second-half shots on net, three came in the final two minutes. Mastroianni again proved crucial, as she turned away sophomore Carey Goodman during the 88th minute on what was likely Duke's closest attempt at knotting up the score.

For the match, the Eagles outshot the Blue Devils 12-10. Redmond, Goodman and senior Lorraine Quinn each registered two shots on goal for Duke. In the net, senior Cassidy Powers notched three saves.

The lack of offensive production Wednesday is just the latest example in a chain of games in which the Blue Devils have struggled to put the ball in the net.

Duke has now been shut out in four of its last five matches. On a positive note, though, the defense has relinquished just two goals over that same period.

"Right now, more than anything we need some rest," Church said. "We have to get our swagger back that we had earlier in the season."

A loss in the ACC quarterfinals is not entirely discouraging for the Blue Devils, however, as last year's team also fell in the first round in conference postseason play before making a run to the Elite Eight of the NCAA College Cup.

"We know we are a good team," Quinn said. "The NCAA tournament is a whole new season, and we will be ready."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils fall in ACC tourney opener” on social media.