SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Under rookie coach, freshmen contribute

Eight freshmen from New Jersey, Massachusetts, Texas, Virginia, Washington, California, Arizona and Gambia all come together as the sun rises each morning outside Koskinen Stadium. They are joined by one more rookie with a little more history.

This talented group may come from all parts of the nation-and the world-with different backgrounds and skills, but now they are united under the Duke banner. They win, lose, get in trouble and train as a unit-as friends. The transition from club and high school soccer to the college level is not simple, but first-year head coach John Kerr, who captained Duke's 1986 national championship squad, is ready to get them there.

"Its an honor-he's a big Duke guy. It's his first year and we're his first class," defenseman Ian Kalis said. "He talked to us when we came in about how we're his first class. He's excited, we're excited- it's going to be a fun process."

It may be a fun process, but it certainly won't be easy. Kerr works the team hard during its daily 8 a.m. practices in order to prepare for its brutal ACC schedule. When asked what the practices were like, all eight freshmen responded as a collective unit.

"Real early, real rough," they said.

But that might be the only way. Kerr needs to maintain the intensity to keep the team, particularly the freshmen, prepared for Division-I play. The youthful team has started the season with vigor with a 6-3-1 overall record.

Not bad for a team that starts four rookies.

The group of eight has already formed a close bond, laughing and casually cracking jokes as they talk in a Randolph Dormitory common room. It hardly seems like they have known each other for only a few months, and such chemistry is evident when they take the field as a unit under the lights at Koskinen.

Midfielder Temi Molinar plays seamlessly with Kalis on the left side, as if they had been playing together for years. Give-and-goes are casual-almost second nature.

But ultimately, it will be the upperclassmen who are responsible for keeping the freshmen in line come game day. Captains Graham Dugoni and Darrius Barnes lead the team from the defense, while senior Mike Grella inspires the offense.

"They'll yell at you when you mess up, but compliment you when you do the right things," Kalis said. "They're good leaders-they set good examples."

Certainly, the team's four senior starters have set their eyes on a national championship this year, but they also know they have a responsibility to prepare the rising stars. The closest interaction lies between Grella and his freshman counterpart, Kyle Bethel. Grella-who leads the team with nine goals, trailed immediately by Bethel with four-is one of the best players in the country, and Bethel hopes to learn from his experience and talent.

"It's a real challenge, he's very good and you don't want to mess up," said Bethel, who broke his arm against Stony Brook Sept. 30 and will likely be out for the season. "He yells at you, but it's to help you and make you better. I love playing with him-it was fun while it lasted."

Some players, like goalkeeper Jan Trnka-Amrhein, have already experienced national championships in club ball. Others, like Kalis, have even been able to don the red, white and blue while representing the United States.

But right now, all the freshmen are worried about is trying to win the same title Kerr originally brought to Duke wearing their newly acquired blue and white.

"We expect to win a national championship," Trnka-Amrhein said. "Kerr expects a lot out of us freshmen."

Share and discuss “Under rookie coach, freshmen contribute” on social media.