Players enjoy time off to heal bodies, minds

Duke responded to its second loss of the year in an unusual way.

After falling 3-0 to No. 2 North Carolina Oct. 2, the Blue Devils decided to take some time off from practicing. For the team, the past week has been as much about mental recuperation as it has been about physical fitness.

"That loss came at a perfect time," head coach Robbie Church said. "It came in a week when we had only one game, so we were able to get away from it and concentrate more on academics."

Of the four days after the North Carolina game, No. 11 Duke (9-2-1, 1-1-1 in the ACC) only practiced Sunday. The Blue Devils' typically practice every day but Monday.

They're hoping the opportunity to relax and refocus pays off against No. 15 Wake Forest (8-3, 1-2) Thursday at 7 p.m. in Koskinen Stadium.

"We were really able to put the Carolina game behind us," junior forward KayAnne Gummersall said. "It was nice to have a couple days off-it was the first two-day break we had all year."

Gummersall and her teammates are approaching this week with revitalized confidence and heightened competitive spirit. The time off increased the intensity of the few practices the Blue Devils did have, Gummersall and Church said.

And despite suffering its first shutout loss of the year to the Tar Heels, Duke has not been deflated.

"I don't see any lingering effects from Carolina," Church said. "We've moved on. We have a great mindset right now.... Although the week will be challenging, it is one that we are rested and mentally prepared for."

The Blue Devils will need to be ready against the Demon Deacons, who have not lost to Duke since 2005. The last three contests between the teams have been decided by one goal or less, and the Blue Devils do not expect anything different this time around.

"The Wake Forest game is always really close," Gummersall said. "They're a great team, but we'll be ready to play them. If we play our game, no one can stay with us."

That has especially been the case for Duke's home games against Wake Forest. The Blue Devils are 6-0-1 all-time against the Demon Deacons in Koskinen, but the teams have not played in Durham since 2005-not coincidentally, the last time Duke won.

"For the last [two] years, we have had to play them in Winston-Salem, which did not always work out in our favor," Church said. "It's nice to have them back in Durham, where we have played well most of the year."

The Blue Devils are 6-1-1 at home this season, and they will look to rebound from their first loss on their own turf with a much-needed win in conference play.

And after last year's 1-0 overtime loss to Wake Forest in the ACC quarterfinals, Duke has a little extra incentive tonight.

"We haven't forgotten about the loss," Gummersall said. "It's revenge time."

Share and discuss “Players enjoy time off to heal bodies, minds” on social media.