SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke travels to meet new rival in FSU

As they hit the final stretch of their regular season slate, the Blue Devils have put to rest many of the struggles that demonized them last year.

Their offense has already scored six more goals than the 2007 team, they have collected two more victories and have matched their ACC win total with five conference games still remaining and they have been ranked in the top 15 all year.

But for all its statistical progress, No. 8 Duke still lacks one major achievement on its resume-: a win over a top-10 team.

The Blue Devils (11-2-1, 3-1-1 in the ACC) will have the opportunity to change that when they travel south Sunday to play No. 9 Florida State (10-2-1, 4-1).

"It's always a special game when you have two of the top-10 teams in the country playing," head coach Robbie Church said. "The Florida State-Duke rivalry over the last three to four years has been a really good rivalry."

And it's a series in which the Blue Devils have shined.

In 2006, Duke beat the then-No. 3 Seminoles 3-1 in Koskinen Stadium-- its last win to date over a top-10 opponent-but was bounced by Florida State in the ACC tournament, as the Seminoles made a run to the national semifinals.

The two played to a 1-1 draw last year in what Church called one of his team's finest performances of the season.

The coach attributed the Blue Devils' strong showings against Florida State to the teams' similar styles of play. Neither squad is particularly physical and both are offensive, possession-oriented teams, which opens up the flow of the game, Church said.

Duke won't have to worry about a high-pressure defense similar to what it has seen from other ACC teams, but it will have its hands full slowing down the Seminoles' high-powered offense.

"We have to defend tight and stop their rhythm of play," Church said. "When they start to connect too many passes together, they get into a good rhythm. We have to not let them find a rhythm of play."

Earning a victory Sunday could prove crucial in the tight ACC standings, as the two teams jockey for position along with Virginia and Boston College in what Church dubbed the "second tier" of the ACC behind North Carolina.

The win would certainly qualify as the Blue Devils' biggest of the season, Church said-but knowing the emerging rivalry, it won't be easy to attain.

"We know we have to play well," Church said. "If not, they can beat you pretty good."

Share and discuss “Duke travels to meet new rival in FSU” on social media.