SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Blue Devils kick off home stand Saturday

This season has proved that there is no place like home for the Blue Devils.

Duke returns from a successful road swing to finish its season with a four-game home stand beginning with ACC rival No. 19 Virginia Saturday at 7 p.m. in Koskinen Stadium.

The Blue Devils (7-5-2, 2-2-2 in the ACC) have a winning record at home, with their only losses coming to then-No. 16 North Carolina and Florida Atlantic in the aftermath of the loss to the Tar Heels.

Despite their early success at home-the two losses were Duke's last two home contests-head coach John Kerr knows his team cannot afford to overlook the Cavaliers (8-4-1, 4-1).

"It's great to be back here for the end of the season-it puts us in a great position," Kerr said. "That being said, we can't take it for granted. We need to make sure we capitalize on the opportunity."

And Saturday's test is arguably Duke's toughest of the remainder of the season.

The Cavaliers are strong, physical and fast and could continue to challenge No. 1 Wake Forest for the top spot in the ACC with a win, Kerr said.

Leading the charge for Virginia is freshman forward Tony Tchani, who ranks in the top 10 of the ACC in all relevant offensive statistical categories. But after facing some of the best teams in the country with some of the best forwards in the country, the Duke defensive unit knows it is up to the challenge.

"We have played against teams with the same look as Virginia, with their marquee player up top," said goalkeeper Brendan Fitzgerald, who has collected two consecutive shutouts. "We think our scheme is able to account for anything they might do.... I just need to keep communicating to the backs, letting them know where the pressure is."

Fitzgerald also said the team feels a "sense of urgency" to obtain the outcomes it needs to finish the regular season on a high note.

In an attempt to get those results, freshman defender Nick Sih was moved up top with senior Mike Grella in Duke's 2-0 win over Elon Tuesday and managed to tally a goal. Sih played forward in high school, but admitted that it takes some time to become accustomed to playing up front again.

And in order to re-establish its home-field advantage against a ranked opponent, Duke will need all the offensive help it can get.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils kick off home stand Saturday” on social media.