AOII to disband at Duke

Members of Alpha Omicron Pi sorority have decided to disband their chapter on campus, said President Celia Glass, a senior.

The decision was put to members of the sorority for a vote about two weeks ago, and the chapter will officially close Oct. 31. Although current sisters will be unable to join another sorority in the Panhellenic Association, they were initiated as alumnae members Saturday and will remain active in the Triangle Alumnae Chapter, Glass said.

"[Being in AOPi] has been a great experience for me all the way throughout," Glass said. "We're looking forward to remaining close friends, lifelong sisters."

AOPi extended nine bids during 2008 formal recruitment, the only chapter that failed to meet the 32-member quota set for all Panhel sororities that year, according to previous reports by The Chronicle. The sorority has fallen far short of the membership target since at least 2005.

To account for the loss of AOPi, Panhel may increase the new member quota for 2009 Formal Recruitment by one to two women per chapter, members of Panhel confirmed. Panhel will revisit the possibility of bringing another sorority to campus in the Spring, and AOPi hopes to recolonize within the next few years.

Share and discuss “AOII to disband at Duke” on social media.