Program to focus on public health

In an effort to reduce health disparities in North Carolina, the Duke Global Health Institute has partnered with the N.C. Health and Wellness Trust Fund to create the North Carolina Health Disparities Fellowship Program, which will train public health and social work professionals.

"[Health disparities] is a new and emerging field of public health," NCHWTF Executive Director Vandana Shah said. "We want to be able to train the next generation of health care and public and social workers."

The program is part of NCHWTF's Eliminating Health Disparities Initiative and is seeking individuals who have at least a bachelor's degree and a few years of experience in working in the area of health disparities, especially with minority populations. Shah said she envisions that fellows will be working in community and faith-based organizations, as well as in local governments implementing health programs.

"These fellows are already working with these people in their community," said Geelea Seaford, communications director for Duke's Center for Health Policy. "This is expanding their knowledge and giving them the tools to provide additional and improved services."

During their first of two years, fellows will take four weeks of classes at Duke and several state universities, as well as develop their own projects. In their second year, students will implement the projects they have devised. Students will also travel to different parts of the community to see specific programs in action.

The first class will be admitted by the end of the year and the program will begin in January with up to five students, Shah said.

"It's no different from solving problems around the world." said Dr. Dennis Clement, senior advisor at DGHI. "We have [problems] in Durham and North Carolina and we want to solve some of these as well."

Share and discuss “Program to focus on public health” on social media.