Blue Devils drop 3 critical games at Wake

When starting pitcher Andrew Wolcott gave up two quick runs in the team's series opener against Wake Forest Friday, Duke could not have imagined it was only the beginning of a disastrous weekend that may have cost the Blue Devils any chance of making the ACC tournament.

Going into the weekend, the Blue Devils carried a half-game lead over the Demon Deacons for the eighth and final spot in the conference tournament into Winston-Salem. But rather than solidify a spot in the tournament for the first time of head coach Sean McNally's three-year tenure, Duke ran into a formidable foe that might have outfought it for that playoff spot.

Wake Forest (22-27, 11-15 in the ACC) rode strong pitching performances in the first two games and outslugged the Blue Devils in the series finale, sweeping them 7-3, 3-1 and 9-4 at Gene Hooks Stadium.

"We really pressed against Wake Forest," head coach Sean McNally said. "That's a product of guys caring a lot and wanting it so much that they get exhausted."

Duke (35-17-1, 8-17-1) did manage to bounce back Tuesday night, defeating Campbell 10-5 for a perfect 27-0 non-conference record, the first in school history.

Despite the disappointing losses to the Demon Deacons, however, the Blue Devils still control their postseason destiny. If they sweep Virginia Tech this upcoming weekend, they would leapfrog Clemson for the eighth tournament spot.

"We're very fortunate to have a chance to get in," McNally said. "Our guys want to keep playing. The sentiment was 'Let's extend this season and embrace the weekend.'"

A sweep is not out of the question for Duke-the Hokies have the worst record in the conference with a 5-22 conference mark. Last year, the Blue Devils won two out of three against Virginia Tech, falling in the series finale. The Hokies, however, have shown they can beat anyone, as they are coming off a stunning 7-6 victory over No. 1 Miami, something that Duke fell just short of in extra innings earlier in the season.

Nevertheless, things would be a lot easier were it not for lackluster offensive performances last weekend.

In the first game, Wake Forest's Ben Hunter struck out eight Blue Devils in more than seven innings, allowing just two runs. Hunter, who came into the game with a 2-5 record, retired the first 10 batters he faced. The two runs Wolcott gave up held for Hunter's entire time at the mound, and once Hunter left, the Demon Deacons burst for four runs to put the game out of reach.

The second game appeared to be in Duke's favor. Blue Devil pitcher Chris Manno, sporting an unblemished 6-0 record, looked to have an obvious advantage over Wake Forest's Charlie Mellie, who also came in with a 2-5 mark. But it was Mellie who pitched like the ace.

The Demon Deacon pitcher threw a complete game, allowing just one run on four hits for the win. Manno, meanwhile, only gave up three hits in five innings-but two of those hits were out of the park for three runs. The two home runs were only the second and third that Manno has given up this season.

Wake Forest concluded the series with a 9-4 dominant win as Willy Fox and Mike Murray drove in three runs each for the Demon Deacons.

In the Tuesday win over Campbell, junior slugger Nate Freiman went 5-for-5 with two home runs to clinch the milestone win for Duke. It was Freiman's first five-hit game of his career and third multi-homer of the season.

The Blue Devils return to the field with the postseason on the line Thursday in Blacksburg, Va.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils drop 3 critical games at Wake” on social media.