Graduate student campout policy sees changes

The Graduate and Professional Student Council discussed plans for next year at their final meeting of the academic year.

Basketball Committee Co-chairs Mickey Tekippe, a sixth-year M.D./Ph.D. student, and Sarah Kreider, a Ph.D. candidate in chemistry, proposed the new plan for campout, the process for graduate and professional students to get tickets for men's basketball games.

Next year's campout will occur on the weekend of Sept. 19.

Kreider said the field behind the Blue Zone parking lots, where campout normally takes place, is being converted into a varsity athletic field. As a result, the event will have to relocate to the other side of Wallace Wade Stadium and will be split into two sections.

"We'll have double the tenting area, and a larger amount of RV area," she said. "It gives us room to expand as campout grows."

The co-chairs also proposed an increase in the campout fee from $5 to $10 per person. Tekippe said the increase in the cost of T-shirts was the leading motivation for raising the campout fee.

Members approved all changes the co-chairs proposed.

Also at the meeting, President Alethea Duncan, a third-year Ph.D. candidate in chemistry, said Residence Life and Housing Services officials recently informed graduate and professional students that their available bed spaces on Central Campus decreased from 200 to 54 because of the upcoming construction in Few Quadrangle.

The council held elections for the six representatives to Board of Trustee committees. Midway through the election, however, the council's electric voting system collapsed causing a switch to paper ballots. Many members left the meeting because of the complication.

Members approved Ali Saaem, a second-year Ph.D. candidate in biomedical engineering, and Jim McDonald, a second-year law student, as representatives to the Business and Finance Committee. Pae Wu, a graduate student in electrical and computer engineering and a standing member on GPSC, and Justin Jaworski, a fourth-year Ph.D. candidate in mechanical engineering, were elected to the Building and Grounds Committee.

The council then elected Julie Roy, a seventh-year Ph.D. candidate in cancer biology, for the remaining spot on the Institutional Advancement Committee and Benson Okeiyi, a first-year medical student, to the Medical Center Affairs Committee. GPSC members David Kahler, a third-year Ph.D. candidate in civil and environmental engineering, and Jessi Bardill, a third-year Ph.D. candidate in English, were selected to head the Undergraduate Student Affairs Committee.

Gautham Pandiyan, a fourth-year Ph.D. candidate in the molecular cancer biology program, and Zhizhong Li, a graduate student in molecular cancer biology, were chosen to run the Faculty, Graduate and Professional Schools Affairs Committee.

Share and discuss “Graduate student campout policy sees changes” on social media.