Editor's Note 30: on goodbyes

These are the last words that I will write for the Chronicle.

Well, technically not true. I mean, I am writing all of these words that appear after that ominous statement-and not to mention that I haven't started on the feature that is going to appear on page one.

Also, I figure that even though I am about the leave the Chronicle, it will not necessarily leave me for a while. Maybe I will write a column next year as a "hip recent grad talking about the 'real world.'" When I am 70, I will surely construct a rant-y diatribe about the "good ol' days" and how real news stories involve strippers and lacrosse players.

This year, for me and recess, has been full of good memories. It made me realize that while I can often write a funny line, I am definitely not a consummate journalist. I look back at some of the past Editors-David Walters, Greg Veis, Adam Winer-who all have great arts and entertainment journalism careers and I am kind of awestruck.

Maybe I should give myself a little more credit. I also don't feel like I am fit to be a McKinsey business consultant next year-this feeling especially strikes me when Econ students talk about hedge funds and personal investing-but they hired me. I didn't think I was good enough to be a photographer-but the Chronicle kept asking me to take photos.

I think we are often surprised about how multi-talented and impressive our peers are, which makes us lose perspective on our own skills. I refused to let my senior column devolve into a sappy advice-fest, but now I feel wistful enough to dispense some parting words.

We are all pretty awesome kids here in the Gothic Wonderland. We can do whatever we want, from saving children to recording rock albums, if we just take the time to reach for it.

Now I am going to go gag myself with a spoon for that.

-Varun Lella, Editor... one last time

Share and discuss “Editor's Note 30: on goodbyes” on social media.