2008 SPRING GAME

Students trying to sleep in Saturday might get an unusual wake-up call.

Trampling through the quad, the entire Blue Devil squad will tread ceremoniously from the Duke Chapel to the Yoh Football Center to report for the afternoon's Spring Game, set to kick off at 1 p.m. at Wallace Wade Stadium.

Students are encouraged to cheer on and walk alongside the players toward the stadium for the team's first major public showcase under new head coach David Cutcliffe.

The 'Devil Walk' is just one of several new traditions Cutcliffe plans to install next season, a testament to his significant efforts to increase the program's visibility. The first-year coach said he hopes to set a new attendance record in this year's Spring Game, airing commercials and scheduling pregame festivities such as a live band and inflatable games to attract students and other fans in the community, he said.

"I don't even think there was any publicity for the last spring game," nose guard Ayanga Okpokowuruk said. "We're really trying to get the student body into it.... It's exciting. It's like we're actually a football program at a big-time school."

Contrary to former head coach Ted Roof's spring scrimmage format, in which the starting offense and starting defense went head-to-head with a fabricated points system, the Blue Devils have been split up into two entirely separate teams this year. Even the assistant coaches have been divided between Blue and White squads for the contest, which will consist of four 10-minute-quarters.

"If we could split me in half, we would do that," Cutcliffe said. "Some of them want to do that. Look at the players grinning back there."

But these Blue Devils have other reasons to smile, too.

The buzz surrounding Duke Football has increased steadily ever since Cutcliffe was hired in December 2007. After wrapping up a successful spring season, the Spring Game will be the players' first chance to flaunt their new look in front of a sizable crowd. And even though it's just a scrimmage, the Blue Devils don't plan on pulling any punches.

"It's the Spring Game, so it's a game," running back Re'quan Boyette said. "We're getting pumped up for it, and we're ready for it. Having the fans there is only going to help us.... That's going to excite us to show them what we have and show them what we've become, as opposed to what we were last year."

Although Boyette said Saturday will be an enjoyable experience for the Blue Devils, he also admitted bragging rights are on the line.

With the rosters set, the battle lines have been drawn.

"[Trash talking] will probably start once everyone gets a look at the roster," Boyette said. "We're splitting up into teams [during practice] Friday, so we'll probably have a lot of trash talking between Friday and Saturday before we get on the field. That will be fun."

If all goes according to Cutcliffe's plans, the Blue Devils will excite a packed Wallace Wade Stadium with his unique, high-octane offense. Of course, he won't be able to argue with the result.

Either way, Duke wins.

Share and discuss “2008 SPRING GAME” on social media.