Easley offers reward for Carson info

Gov. Mike Easley has offered a $10,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of individuals responsible for the death of Eve Carson, according to a March 13 governor's proclamation released Wednesday.

Although Durham residents Demario Atwater and Laurence Lovette have already been indicted in the killing, Easley wrote in a statement signed last Thursday that there could be additional information tied to the murder.

"It is believed that the issuance of a Governor's Reward would be beneficial in developing new leads that would help bring anyone associated with this heinous crime to justice," he wrote in the proclamation.

The University was prepared to offer a reward in the case of engineering graduate student Abhijit Mahato, who was found dead in his apartment Jan. 18, said John Burness, senior vice president for public affairs and government relations.

"We were prepared to put up a reward in Abhijit's case, kind of like a Crime Stoppers thing, but the police captured the guys so fast so we never got to the point where we could do it," Burness said. "I don't know what additional information the governor's office has [about Carson's murder], but I feel the police have done a very good job in their investigation."

Carson, a senior and student body president at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, was found shot to death near UNC's North Campus early in the morning of March 5.

The governor's office could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday night.

Share and discuss “Easley offers reward for Carson info” on social media.