DUPD head to end four-decade stint

Robert Dean, director of the Duke University Police Department, will retire this year, a University official confirmed Wednesday.

Dean, who came out of retirement in June 2005 to lead DUPD, is calling it quits after more than 40 years with the department, Aaron Graves, associate vice president for campus safety and security, told The Chronicle.

"He has served Duke faithfully and loyally on two occasions," Graves said. "We will now enter a search to replace him and even get the community involved."

Dean could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

The veteran lawman was lured out of retirement three years ago to serve as head of DUPD while the University began searching for a new associate vice president for campus safety and security.

He succeeded previous chief Clarence Birkhead, who stepped down in May 2005 to take up a post leading the Hillsborough Police Department.

"Bob Dean has been a mentor to many of our officers," Kemel Dawkins, vice president for campus services, told Ten Fourteen, DUPD's employee newsletter, in July 2005 when Dean took the position. "He was trusted by people everywhere, from Student Affairs officials who sought out his advice to local reporters. He knows the department, Duke and Durham."

Dean retired in 2003 but returned to DUPD to serve on an interim basis.

After Graves' appointment, he was made permanent director in February 2006.

Dean directed the department's daily operations until stepping down.

In 1962, Dean began his career at Duke as a police officer, later rising to the position of major. He served as commander of criminal investigations and manager of community affairs and public information and later as a liaison to minorities at Duke.

Born and raised in Durham, Dean has previously served as the chair of Durham CrimeStoppers and a board member of Men of Vision, an organization that provides guidance for at-risk youth. He also served as interim chief of North Carolina Central University's police department for several months in 1991.

Dawkins and representatives of DUPD could also not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Share and discuss “DUPD head to end four-decade stint” on social media.