Devils battle for spot in Sweet 16

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - When the Blue Devils take the court tonight, they'll be up against more than just Arizona State. If Duke's first-round contest against Murray State was any indication, the Blue Devils will not only face opposition on the floor, but also from the crowd.

"I wasn't aware that College Park was such a hot spot for Murray State fans," junior Abby Waner said. "I'm pretty sure we'll see a lot of Arizona State fans [tonight], too. The name on the jersey is enough for people to not like you that much."

With the second-round matchup tipping off at 7 p.m. in the Comcast Center, Maryland's home court, the third-seeded Blue Devils (24-9) will be playing on anything but a neutral court. But none of that matters to Duke.

"It's just something you have to expect," freshman Jasmine Thomas said. "We're not at home, so when we travel, there's always going to be some hostility.... We've just got to focus on playing basketball."

The Blue Devils must contend with the Sun Devils' deep rotation, which features nine players averaging over 10 minutes per game. No. 6 seed Arizona State (22-10) has one of the most balanced attacks of any Duke opponent this season, unlike the top-heavy lineups typical of the ACC.

After Murray State's Ashley Hayes lit up the Blue Devil defense for 26 points Sunday, Duke faces an entirely different challenge, as it must adapt to the various combinations the Sun Devils play.

"The most important thing to know is that we just have to be ready for any sort of matchup," Waner said. "They're a very deep team, and when they substitute, it doesn't take the level of play down for them. Most of the time it brings it up."

Another storyline from the sidelines is that of the opposing playcaller: Sun Devils head coach Charli Turner Thorne served as an assistant coach to McCallie for the Under-21 National Team last summer. Turner Thorne has guided Arizona State to an 11-3 record in its last 14 games.

After losing guard Danielle Orsillo to a knee injury in the first week of the season, the team has excelled thanks to contributions from transfers Lauren Lacey and Sybil Dosty, who are among the team's leading scorers.

The Blue Devils also come into tonight's game playing perhaps their best basketball of the season. In particular, guard Wanisha Smith has elevated her play of late, averaging 15 points in her last three games. Although the senior's career could end at any time, Smith has not let her emotions influence her game and seems determined to extend her Duke tenure.

The rest of the Blue Devils have followed suit, particularly Thomas, who had her best statistical performance in a Duke uniform against Murray State, racking up 14 points, nine rebounds and six assists.

By playing their strongest in March, the Blue Devils are working to fulfill McCallie's preseason prophecy of peaking in the Tournament. Tonight, they hope that translates into an 11th straight bid to the Sweet 16, even in the unfriendly confines of College Park.

"I think we are [playing better]," Thomas said. "We're playing a lot more together now, which is what we've been trying to get all year. Eveything's starting to come together and gel together, and that's what we needed. It's a perfect time for that right now."

Share and discuss “Devils battle for spot in Sweet 16” on social media.