SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Blue Devils fall to Wake

Playing their fourth conference match in the last seven days, the Blue Devils fell to in-state rival Wake Forest Wednesday 4-3 in Winston-Salem.

Duke (5-9, 2-2 in the ACC) has now lost two straight contests in conference play after starting its ACC schedule 2-0.

The Blue Devils opened play solidly against the Demon Deacons, taking the doubles point 2-1. Duke's top doubles pair, David Goulet and Christopher Price, lost a close 9-7 decision, but the second-seeded duo of Reid Carleton and Kiril Dimitrov evened the score.

Senior Alex Stone and sophomore Dylan Arnould then combined to earn the point for the Blue Devils with a 9-7 victory of their own.

In singles play, though, Duke struggled, especially near the bottom of its rotation. Goulet, Duke's top seed, earned a straight-set victory over Cory Parr. But the Blue Devils then dropped three straight matches at the two, four and five lines to give the Demon Deacons a one-point advantage. Carleton, a freshman from Naples, Fla., tied the score after pulling out a tough three-setter.

For the sixth time this season, the match's overall result came down to a final singles contest, this time between No. 6 seeds Jared Pinsky and Andrew Brasseaux. Duke's Pinsky dropped the first set 6-1, and ultimately lost the second in a tiebreaker to give Wake Forest the victory.

Wednesday's dual match marked the Blue Devils' eighth straight on the road, a stretch that has lasted the entire month of March. Duke takes on Boston College Friday and Maryland Sunday, both on the road, before returning home for the month of April.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils fall to Wake” on social media.