Recent YTs relish role on Board

Duke Student Government and the Intercommunity Council will choose one of three seniors-Katelyn Donnelly, Bronwyn Lewis and Ryan Todd-tonight to become Duke's 35th undergraduate Young Trustee.

The position is arguably the most powerful position a Duke student can undertake. With voting privileges in the last two years of a three-year tenure, the undergraduate Young Trustee will step onto the Board of Trustees, which features two billionaires and several Fortune 500 chief executive officers.

"It is a very intimidating environment," said former Young Trustee Brandon Busteed, Trinity '99. "It was welcoming, it was inviting, it was encouraging, but you have to take it upon yourself to speak up in front of some of the most accomplished people in the world."

Other trustees look to the Young Trustee to offer a younger perspective on issues the Board faces, such as plans for the new Central Campus and implementation of the strategic plan, Busteed said.

"The Board is very collegial, they treat us just like any other member of the Board," said Young Trustee Anthony Vitarelli, Trinity '05. "They draw on us for our unique perspectives just as other members are drawn upon for theirs."

Busteed said his input was relevant in "eight out of 10 conversations" and helpful in enriching the discussion. He said he could not offer a valuable perspective in certain technical issues involving University finances.

"From curricular reform to the tenure process to town-gown relations, the young perspective was extremely valued and did add something different to the council," he said. "That's a pretty good hit rate when you're batting 80 percent."

In most issues impacting the student body, the Young Trustee's opinions are valued, said graduate and professional Young Trustee Ben Kennedy, Fuqua '07.

"There are specific times in every meeting where other trustees ask the Young Trustee, 'How would current students react to this plan?'" Kennedy said. "You really have the best data of anybody on the Board about what the life of a current or recent student is like."

Busteed said the Board values the Young Trustee position even more than he expected. He added, however, that the Young Trustee is not necessarily an undergraduate ambassador to the Board and is instead valued more as a young perspective rather than as a former student.

"The position is not supposed to be representative," Busteed said. "The Young Trustee does not serve a constituency."

DSG Executive Vice President and Young Trustee Nominating Committee member Jordan Giordano said, however, that Young Trustees are chosen for their ability to represent the undergraduate community, although they are not obligated to present student interests.

A Young Trustee's recent experience as a student provides a different perspective on critical issues facing undergraduates, said Giordano, a junior.

"Their expertise on undergraduate issues makes their opinion resonate," he said. "With Central Campus they can talk about their experiences on the campus where perhaps other trustees can't."

Kennedy said the Young Trustee often has to walk a fine line between presenting the undergraduate perspective and developing a holistic view of the University. He added that other Board members see arguments that stem from a comprehensive understanding of Duke as more reasonable than an argument catering to undergraduates.

The hardest aspect of the job is understanding the issues facing Duke that undergraduates rarely deal with, Busteed said. This means developing a comprehensive sense of Duke which includes the graduate and professional schools.

Although no longer students, Young Trustees can expect a lot of homework leading up to Board meetings as broadening one's perspective on Duke requires a lot of work, Busteed added.

"I know of Young Trustees that were very quiet in their three years on the Board and I know others that contributed frequently," he said. "It's a waste of time to just sit there, so you really need to do your homework to build confidence."

Share and discuss “Recent YTs relish role on Board” on social media.