C-SPAN wheels election bus to Duke campus

Duke students were scrambling to snag a spot on a bus stopped in front of the Chapel-an all too typical sight.

But the C-SPAN Election Bus, with its plush velvet seats, rich cherry-wood panelling, star-spangled exterior and heated political discussions among those on board, was a far cry from the run-of-the-mill C-1 or Robertson.

Duke College Republicans Chair Sam Tasher, a junior, said the bus was just the dose of political awareness the University needed.

"Politics is my major and my hobby," he said. "The campus is a hotbed of liberalism, but part of the challenge is that we fight apathy as well."

America's first choice for nonstop political coverage paid the University a visit Feb. 15 in an appearance coordinated by junior Jordan Giordano, executive vice president of Duke Student Government. He said C-SPAN visits colleges to boost student interest in the election, and he lobbied for the network to make an appearance at Duke for the same reason. He added that with the May 6 North Carolina primary fast approaching, political awareness on campus is especially important.

Cameras weren't rolling on the bus, but students aboard were treated to interactive demonstrations about programming, media literacy skills and the 2008 presidential cycle.

C-SPAN Marketing Representative Sarah Howard estimated that 50 students boarded the bus during its two-hour stay, and Giordano said he was pleased with the turnout.

The bus toured North Carolina before rolling on to Ohio, dropping by North Carolina State University and North Carolina Central University as well. Howard said Duke students boasted a special knowledge of specific issues in the race as compared to their collegiate peers, but said she was impressed by the political awareness of all North Carolina students.

"This is a fresh start for the so-called apathetic youth," she said. "Wherever we go, people know the candidates, and they want to talk about the race."

The bus has acted as a makeshift studio for interviews with Mitt Romney, John McCain and Bill Richardson, and students grilled Howard for all the juicy details of her interactions with the candidates.

"I feel like you sometimes get a sense of who they are, but I have no idea," she said. "They're running for president."

The space also served as a classroom when Visiting Professor Jason Casellas, a postdoctoral associate, decided to hold his Political Science 199 class there on a lark after walking by the bus minutes before class was due to begin.

"I thought it would be a good opportunity to let students see the internship opportunities C-SPAN and [other networks] can offer," he said.

Students in the class said they were more than happy to trade their stuffy spot in Perkins Library for a classroom on wheels.

Sophomore Justin Blumenthal, in particular, was ecstatic--he was scheduled to give a presentation in class, but was saved by the bus.

Some students' excitement about the bus was dampened by the infrequency with which they tune into C-SPAN.

"I just kind of went about my day," Divinity School student Derek Kubilus said of his reaction to the bus. "I might be a little more interested if it was CNN."

But though the network is not known to have a youthful fan base, at least one student was delighted to interact with the provider of his weekend programming.

"The House of Commons is an excellent thing to watch on Sunday evenings," Divinity School student Kevin Wright said.

Share and discuss “C-SPAN wheels election bus to Duke campus” on social media.