Edelman speech caps MLK events

The influence of youth could be felt across campus this weekend as the University hosted events commemorating the life of Martin Luther King Jr.

The event series, titled "The Power of Youth," was headlined by a speech given by Marian Wright Edelman, president of the Children's Defense Fund, at the Chapel Sunday and a performance by the African Children's Choir in Page Auditorium Monday.

"[The events] really engaged multiple segments of our community," said Benjamin Reese, co-chair of the MLK Commemoration Committee and vice president for insitutional equity. "Focusing on youth is critically important in this day and age where disparities in terms of health care, education and economics are so severe."

Students, faculty and community members listened to Edelman speak about inequalities among young people and the need to continue the work of King. She was introduced by Ambassador James Joseph, leader in residence and professor of the practice of public policy, who called her "the most successful activist of our era."

Edelman used statistics to illustrate opportunities to combat large inequalities between youth worldwide. She also cautioned the audience against complacency in social activism.

"So many Americans would rather celebrate than follow Dr. King.... For those who are waiting for Dr. King to come back, he's not coming," Edelman said. "We might as well get ourselves together and get on about [service and activism]."

She added that activism is not restricted to the individual. Edelman emphasized the importance of the relationship between individuals, communities and the government in mitigating social inequalities.

"You can't help children without helping your family, you can't help families without changing the community and you can't change the community without changing public policy," Edelman said. "We must act together with urgency to reset our moral compass."

During the heart of the 1960s civil rights movement, Edelman served as counsel for King's Poor People's Campaign. The campaign focused on economic equality as the next step to genuine equality after desegregation and voting rights. Edelman said the CDF, a private nonprofit organization she founded in 1973, emerged from her involvement in the campaign.

Drawing from her own experience, Edelman said leaders need to be "thermostat leaders"-ones who set the social agenda-and not "thermometer leaders"-people who follow popular opinion.

"Let's ask God to use us to save our children for today and tomorrow and to build a world where no child is left behind," she said.

A crowd composed mostly of local residents gathered in Page Auditorium to watch the African Children's Choir perform Monday. The choir is composed of seven- to 11-year-old children who come from poor villages in Africa to perform a year-long tour. Following the tour, the children will return to Africa and receive an education funded by the Music For Life Institute, the choir's parent organization.

"I really enjoyed hearing them," said Tim Holley, director of the University Honors Program at North Carolina Central University. "It's amazing they're even still in this world. It's a blessing they're able to take advantage of a program like this."

Other events that occurred in commemoration of King included a performance of "The Secret Life of Bees," a theatrical production based on a novel set during the civil rights movement, a screening of "Durham: A Self-Portrait" and a speech by Jim Johnson, director of the Urban Investment Strategies Center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, about economic inequalities in America.

Saidi Chen and Ben Cohen contributed reporting to this story.

Share and discuss “Edelman speech caps MLK events” on social media.