Economists back Edwards for prez

Although John Edwards' campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination may be stalling, a group of economists is trying to get it running again.

William Darity, professor of public policy studies, African and African-American studies and economics, joined 33 other economists from various institutions in endorsing a statement that calls the former North Carolina senator the candidate who "has best demonstrated the capacity and the policies to be the next president of the United States."

The group, known as Economists for Edwards, was recruited by James Galbraith, professor of government at the University of Texas at Austin.

Galbraith said he started the group after an article in The New York Times claimed, "[Edwards'] populist bent helps explain why only one high-profile economist... has joined the campaign."

"The important thing was to establish that... I'm not the only guy out there with an economics Ph.D. who [supports Edwards]," he added.

He said the economists who endorsed the statement shared "a willingness to think large on policy questions."

Darity noted that two specific issues united the group: poverty and the war in Iraq.

"I definitely don't think the other two [major] candidates share [Edwards'] position on income redistribution," Darity said. "He's also set a very specific timetable for removing all U.S. forces from Iraq."

Despite the group's vote of confidence, some economists said concerns over the economic content of Edwards' platform are well-founded.

Thomas Nechyba, chair of the economics department and a supporter of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said he agreed with the opinion that Edwards' economic proposals are problematic.

"[Obama] has been quite impressive in the debates and has made very subtle economic points that he picked up on without an economist whispering in his ear," Nechyba said. "Edwards seems tone deaf to some of these points."

Connel Fullenkamp, an associate professor of economics and a registered Republican, said Edwards' economic views bothered him less than other concerns.

"I have big problems with [Edwards'] character," Fullenkamp wrote in an e-mail. "The true character of each candidate is, and always has been, the only issue that should matter."

John Herlin, a second-year graduate student in economics, said economic issues are often just one of many factors economists consider when choosing a candidate to support.

"If economists were going to support a presidential candidate based purely on what is taught in economics courses, we would probably all support Ron Paul," he said.

Share and discuss “Economists back Edwards for prez” on social media.