Study says white teeth key for jobs

Forget the fancy suit and posh haircut. The secret to success is just a few whitening strips and a few minutes of your time away.

According to a survey conducted by Strategy One on behalf of Listerine, Americans believe that having white teeth plays a crucial role in making a good first impression.

The survey reported that 60 percent of Americans considered having discolored or stained teeth to be more detrimental to a job interview than having a pimple or unmanicured nails or even not wearing a suit. Fifty-seven percent of Americans, however, said they were alarmed to learn that having white teeth ranked higher in importance than professional attire.

"Overall, your entire image is what matters and that you look professional," senior Charlie Nichols said. "It's one of those things that will never get you a job but will keep you from getting a job."

Freshman Nina Rodriguez also said she found the emphasis placed on white teeth slightly ridiculous, but understood the importance of appearance.

"The applicant should be viewed from their good qualities not just their appearance," Rodriguez said. "The problem is that people-without meaning to-make judgment from the very first moment you walk into the room."

The Career Center encourages students to consider appearance when preparing for job interviews, Yolander Albert, associate director of the Career Center, wrote in an e-mail.

"We help students to understand that first impressions actually do make lasting impressions," she said. "Presenting a well-groomed, professional image says a lot about how a person cares for themselves and how they might represent the company."

Among the characteristics the Career Center emphasizes, however, having white teeth failed to make the list, which included wearing conservative clothing, abstaining from wearing heavy perfume and jewelry and maintaining basic personal hygiene.

"Interviews are primarily verbal communication," Albert added. "It is understandable that anything that would be a distraction during a conversation would be problematic. Oral hygiene is important so that interviewers feel comfortable with the applicant and can hold meaningful conversation without distraction."

Share and discuss “Study says white teeth key for jobs” on social media.