RTP groups aim to gain energy muscle

To broaden its scope, the constituents of the Research Triangle have decided to join together to improve energy research.

Duke, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina State University and RTI International this fall formed the Research Triangle Energy Consortium to focus on solving energy problems related to technology, economics, the environment and policy.

Douglas Crawford-Brown, a professor of environmental sciences and engineering and director of the Institute for the Enviroment at UNC, said the four bodies pushed for RTEC's creation after Congress said the Triangle was a noncontributor to energy research.

"In short, [the purpose of RTEC] is to raise the profile of the Triangle in energy research," said David Myers, vice president of RTI's engineering and technology unit.

As a founding member, Duke will contribute to the energy initiative in a number of ways, said Lincoln Pratson, associate professor of sedimentary geology at the Nicholas School of Environment and Earth Sciences.

"It varies from formal programs that are established to the work of individual investigators and varies from research to education," he said.

Pratson said because energy has many aspects, many areas of the University contribute to the energy consortium.

The Pratt School of Engineering provides technological knowledge related to energy and the Nicholas School has done research in energy economics, energy policies and risks associated with energy technology.

The Fuqua School of Business also formed a Corporate Sustainability Initiative with the Nicholas School and the Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions in September.

Pratson added that although the current programs at Duke will benefit RTEC, he believes Duke will contribute more to the energy consortium through education.

"I think Duke has the opportunity to contribute in a special way [with] education," he said. "RTEC recognizes that, in addition to research, we need to be training future leaders who will be involved in all aspects of energy, so not just the technology and the research but also the business, the law and also ranging to the theological."

Working with other institutions will in the end add value to what Duke can do in the field of energy, Pratson said.

"What Duke is hoping to do is to expand its activities in the energy sphere," he said. "So when people think about what is going on with energy at Duke, they will not only see the activities that are taking place here at the University, but also be aware that Duke is also in this consortium with other Triangle institutions and thereby is able to play a part in and bring resources to bear on a much broader range of energy issues than it could do often by itself."

Crawford-Brown said the hope is that RTEC will benefit all of its members.

"I think that these four institutions have a pool of research that is unmatched around the country, and it is a pleasure to bring them all together," he said. Myers said the Research Triangle can become a larger part of energy research through this combined effort.

"If you look at the Triangle from the viewpoint of the Department of Energy or from the capital of the oil industry, they wouldn't necessarily view the Triangle as a hotbed of energy research," Myers said. "We want to change that. We want to be viewed as a major contributor to energy research."

Share and discuss “RTP groups aim to gain energy muscle” on social media.