New visual studies major gets OK

The future of the arts at Duke was up for discussion Thursday, as members of the Arts and Sciences Council unanimously approved the addition of a new major in visual studies.

Vice Provost for the Arts Scott Lindroth addressed efforts to augment Duke's arts programs, and Hans Van Miegroet, chair and professor of the Department of Art, Art History and Visual Studies, proposed the creation of a new major.

Lindroth said he is pleased with the rise in artistic talent the University has drawn over recent years.

"I'm very proud to have students of this caliber at Duke," he said.

He added that the University has been successful at encouraging students with artistic interests to pursue the arts as a side-project in addition to a liberal-arts degree.

"There's tremendous support for this view of the arts at Duke-it fits perfectly with the sort of administrative and curricular structure that is already in place," he said.

Lindroth, however, said he is not satisfied with the current view because it perpetuates the portrayal of the arts as a second-rate course of study rather than a potential major or career.

"I'd like to make an attempt to turn the tables on this situation: what if students came to Duke to focus on the arts?" he asked.

Integrating arts with the rest of the academic community could greatly improve what Duke has to offer, Lindroth said, adding that one way to draw talent and commitment would be to offer merit and performance-based scholarships.

"In the department, we would all like to see more majors because it shows commitment," he said. "It shows that [the arts are] not just a 'suntan' for students while they are here at Duke."

Following Lindroth's presentation, Van Miegroet gave an overview of his proposal for the addition of a visual studies major to the Department of Art, Art History and Visual Studies.

He said the proposed major is part of a general strategy to expand the arts at Duke, adding that visual studies is a significant emerging program in interdisciplinary studies.

"Visual studies really poses to become one of the most interesting and challenging subjects that has emerged in academics in the last several decades," he said.

Van Miegroet added that the major as proposed is unlike any other program in the country and draws from a diverse background of scientific as well as artistic subjects.

"It tries to connect the humanities not only with the social sciences but also with the sciences. We are the first art department in the country with scientists on staff," he said.

Visual arts has the potential as a serious mode of inquiry that can influence all other areas of academia, Van Miegroet said.

"What we also want to emphasize is: this is serious," he said. "This is not a fluff sort of major."

In other business:

Duke Student Government President Paul Slattery and Vice President for Academic Affairs Gina Ireland, both seniors, provided the council with an update on recent DSG activities. Items discussed included the current state of judicial affairs and student-faculty interaction programs.

Share and discuss “New visual studies major gets OK” on social media.