Freshman trio looks to contribute immediately

Freshmen are supposed to be shy, unsure of themselves and daunted by the transition from high school to college.

Apparently, Duke's freshmen didn't get the memo.

When newcomers Karima Christmas, Jasmine Thomas and Krystal Thomas signed with Duke, the Blue Devils knew that their squad would be improved athletically. But more than that, this group of rookies seems to carry a sense of composure and confidence beyond their years.

"It comes from always trying to learn," Jasmine Thomas said of her poise. "I don't put myself in a position to be a freshman."

The 5-foot-9 guard has already made a significant impression on the team and coaching staff.

She led team USA to the U-19 world championship and a 9-0 record the summer before coming to Duke. During high school, she directed her squad to a 101-11 mark while receiving numerous All-American accolades.

In high school, Thomas idolized former Duke point guard Lindsey Harding, who will have her number retired this season. With the kinds of praise the freshman is already receiving, she is well on her way to following in the footsteps of her predecessor in the backcourt.

"Jasmine is really special," head coach Joanne P. McCallie said. "She is a phenomenal student-athlete in every sense of the word. And she is fast. Can you imagine what happens when she learns to change her speed? She's at a really interesting place as a first-year because she doesn't play like one."

Although the speedster has already impressed in the preseason, her peers are making equally large strides.

Krystal Thomas has already proven to be a force in the post. In the inaugural Blue-White game, she recorded seven rebounds and four blocks. Perhaps most telling, after the scrimmage, guard Abby Waner admitted that Thomas's presence discouraged her from driving inside.

With a frontcourt that already includes Chante Black and Carrem Gay, Duke appears to have plenty of depth in the paint.

"Krystal is long, can move and can shoot," sophomore Joy Cheek said. "She's really going to add to the team."

Like Jasmine Thomas, Krystal Thomas spent the summer as a member of the U-19 team. The experience has the center believing she can contribute right away.

"I've been able to adjust well," Krystal Thomas said. "Playing USA Basketball overseas was a good taste of how the college game would be, and it definitely helped the transition."

Like her fellow rookies, Christmas, the final member of the freshman class, is ready to make an immediate impact.

The 5-foot-11 guard/forward displayed her versatility in high school by excelling in multiple statistical categories and could become key for Duke, particularly on the

Share and discuss “Freshman trio looks to contribute immediately” on social media.