Freeman Center sponsors 2nd trip to Czech Republic

Twenty-three juniors boarded flights last Wednesday to spend Thanksgiving together-in Prague.

For the second year, Duke students at home and abroad gathered in the capital city of the Czech Republic for a trip organized by the Freeman Center for Jewish Life.

The participating students traveled from Durham, Italy, France and Spain to meet their fellow classmates in Prague for an educational yet fun-filled itinerary over the break, said Rebecca Levenson, interim director for Jewish life. The schedule included a walking tour of old-town Prague, Shabbat dinner, a visit to a former concentration camp, Terezin, a tour of the old Jewish quarter and a meeting with the Czech Union of Jewish Youth.

The six-day, $1,000 trip was open to juniors only, but according to the FCJL Web site students of all religions were encouraged to register, despite the sponsoring organization's affiliation.

Levenson said permitting only juniors on the trip allowed students to meet new peers and solidify class bonds.

"The thinking was how do we keep students connected with Jewish life on campus while they're studying abroad and away from Duke," she said. "We wanted to start something in an exciting city that was fairly central, educational and of Jewish content."

Junior Ross Goldstein said he chose to go to Prague to broaden his global experiences.

"When I first found out about [the trip], I thought it'd be a great opportunity to travel abroad to Europe and see things that I otherwise might not be able to see," he said.

Prior to the trip, though, Goldstein was most excited to visit Terezin, a place wherehe would greatly enjoy spending time with friends, he said.

Even with a full itinerary of events, students feasted on a traditional Thanksgiving dinner at the King Solomon restaurant-the premier kosher restaurant in Prague.

Levenson said although participating students who are studying abroad could not return to the United States, their fellow juniors gave them a taste of home.

"We felt it was a time where students from Duke had time to travel to such a far location but also where the students abroad miss the States and miss home," she said.

Before traveling to Prague from Duke, Goldstein said he was excited for the trip.

"I think it's important to travel the world and you won't have many opportunities to do that after college," he said.

Share and discuss “Freeman Center sponsors 2nd trip to Czech Republic” on social media.