UNC system OKs higher academic standards

University of North Carolina system colleges may soon be making their way off high school seniors' lists of safety schools.

Last week the UNC Board of Governors announced a proposal that could set minimum admissions requirements of a 2.0 grade point average and a 700 SAT score. The changes would affect those seeking enrollment in the UNC system for Fall 2009.

The plan proposes initiating higher standards over four years: a 2.3 grade point average and 750 SAT score for students hoping to enroll Fall 2011 and a 2.5 GPA and 800 SAT score for students planning to enroll Fall 2013.

These new standards will primarily affect six of the 16 UNC campuses--the University of North Carolina at Pembroke, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, North Carolina Central University, Elizabeth City State University, Fayetteville State University and Winston-Salem State University. Some of these universities have already taken action to raise minimum admissions requirements.

The proposal developed from goals to improve graduation rates across the UNC system. Higher standards would result in fewer acceptances at UNC system schools and greater enrollment in community colleges. However, the proposal would also lead to fewer drop-outs and fewer students who take remedial courses in the universities, UNC President Erskine Bowles said.

UNC officials studied the relationship between student retention on graduation rates and student levels of success in college.

Bobby Kanoy, senior associate vice president for academic and student affairs within the UNC system, said each campus completed a year-long study and goal setting plan. The UNC system then created an advisory committee which comprised representatives from across the campuses.

Study results showed a correlation between lower levels of success and students who do not meet the proposed minimum requirements. Those students also showed tendencies to leave college in debt and without a degree.

Although standards still appear low, Kanoy stressed that the problem only affects a few of the campuses, with most of the campuses already above the proposed minimums.

Even so, Leonard Satterwhite, Duke's acting dean of undergraduate admissions, said he does not believe UNC-Chapel Hill admission standards will be analogous to those of Duke.

"This past year, UNC Chapel Hill had 20,000 applicants and admitted 37.9 percent of their applicant pool," Satterwhite said. "We don't have a minimum GPA or SAT score, but clearly someone with a 2.3 GPA and an 800 SAT would not be a student who is in our applicant pool."

Duke freshman Alex Safrit, who applied to UNC-Chapel Hill as a safety school last fall, said he has a different perspective.

"I believe this would be harmful to [UNC's] athletic program because half of their basketball team would not have been admitted," Safrit said. "Duke, on the other hand, has brilliant athletes."

The Board could vote on the proposed standards as early as January 2008. If passed, the requirements will first affect prospective students of the class of 2013.

Share and discuss “UNC system OKs higher academic standards” on social media.