Southern flair infuses party

Banjo strains, candlelight and student chatter filled the air above McClendon Tower walkway Wednesday evening as the space was transformed into an enchanting vision of a Southern-inspired gala.

The atmosphere of Dukes of Durham: a Southern Comfort, thrown by Duke University Union, was casual yet classy. Some students attended in country-club attire, while others passing through stopped to taste the Southern-style cuisine and say hello to friends before continuing on to their dorms or the Bella Union.

"I wanted something on campus that was easily accessible and low-key," said senior Rebecca Friedman, DUU special projects director and organizer of the event. "North Carolina is in the South, and there are lots of great things about [the South]. This event was meant to be cool and casual, something you could just walk through. Whether you got dressed up or not, you could still enjoy it."

Shrimp, miniature corn dogs, sloppy joes, fruit, red velvet cupcakes and apple-turnovers graced the tables under the main tent in the center of the walkway. Some students said they were impressed by the food, especially the cupcakes.

Completing the atmosphere were the decorations, which included twinkling white lights and candles supplied by Tre Bella of Durham. Bluegrass music played by Black Swamp Bootleggers, a band from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, provided a backdrop for conversation.

"This event is classy and has excellent food," said senior Yibing Li. "I think the romantic candles are definitely a plus. More parties should have romantic candles."

Students compared Dukes of Durham to DukePlays: The Party! and Duke Royale, both of which were classy events last spring that provided other social options than those most students attend on a normal basis.

"Duke does a good job at throwing parties like this," said sophomore Joe McMurray, who also cited the President's Homecoming Dance last weekend and DukePlays.

Some students said the party's location-not only close to their rooms, but also in the open air-made it enjoyable.

"This is a very easy venue that is so accessible, like the library was last year, which was probably why it was such a success," said junior Aidan Burke.

Proximity to many dorms was one of Friedman's goals, she said, adding that she was pleased with the diverse crowd that Dukes of Durham drew.

"I really hope people enjoyed it," Friedman said. "It has been in the works since June, and I've had a lot of wonderful people helping me."

Share and discuss “Southern flair infuses party” on social media.