Quarterback controversy brews for Seminoles

For Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden, the real problem is not whether either of his two quarterbacks is talented, but rather how to most effectively integrate them into his offense.

More than halfway through the season, the Seminoles (4-3, 1-3 in the ACC) are still flip-flopping between original starter Drew Weatherford and capable backup Xavier Lee. Facing a potential giant-killer in Duke (1-6, 0-4) this weekend, Bowden decided to switch back to more experienced redshirt junior Weatherford in hopes of preventing a three-game losing streak and a further plummet toward the unfamiliar ACC cellar.

"We feel like we're better off going with Drew," Bowden said. "[Lee] seems to be looser when he comes in [off the bench].... It's simple for us, eliminate your errors and quit getting those darn penalties. It's simple, just win some ballgames."

Lee, also a redshirt junior, made his first appearance of the season in Week 4 against Alabama, replacing an ineffective Weatherford in the second quarter. The backup seemed to validate his coaches' decision when he orchestrated three second-half touchdown drives to lead the Seminoles to a critical 21-14 win.

Things continued to go Lee's way after a strong performance in a decisive win over North Carolina State, but then the dream faded fast. In just his fifth career start, compared to Weatherford's 27, Lee began to show a penchant for second-half letdowns, first in a heart-breaking 24-21 loss at Wake Forest and then a week later to Miami.

After two touchdown tosses put Florida State up 14-7 over the Demon Deacons at halftime Oct. 11, Lee came back out and threw two interceptions that led to 10 Wake Forest points and made the difference in the ballgame.

Two more interceptions and a disappointing 43-percent completion percentage in a 37-29 loss to the rival Hurricanes last week was enough for Bowden and his coaching staff to pull the old switcheroo one more time. This week in practice, Bowden announced Weatherford's promotion back to the starting role for Saturday's tilt against the Blue Devils.

"It's just our second half has got us concerned," Bowden said. "It's kind of like baseball. Some guys come off the bench pitching relief and do a heck of a job, but maybe not as good if he was a starter."

Bowden said he plans on using both quarterbacks regardless of Weatherford's performance because of the different offensive options the two players provide. Weatherford's lack of mobility mostly limits him to the pocket, where he is able to show off his strong arm. Lee, on the other hand, is quite athletic and never afraid to tuck it and go. He's the second-leading rusher on the team despite playing in only four games.

As a result, Duke head coach Ted Roof said the Blue Devils have to prepare for anything the Seminoles may throw at them.

"Even though it's the same team, it's two distinctively different offenses," Roof said. "They do things with Lee that they don't do with Weatherford and they do things with Weatherford that they don't do with Lee.... So we have to work on all of it, which is a pretty broad scope. But I think we'd be fools if we didn't."

With an offense that has shown steady improvement throughout the season, Duke's chances of coming away with its first win over Florida State ride heavily on its defense. But if anybody can strike the right balance of Weatherford and Lee to bring down the Blue Devils, Bowden-Division I-A's winningest coach-is probably just the man to do it.

Share and discuss “Quarterback controversy brews for Seminoles” on social media.