Prospective Pratt kids see campus

High school students traveling from as far as California converged on the Engineering Quadrangle Saturday for Pratt In Focus, an event in which prospective students come for a day of information sessions, tours and discussions with faculty and students from the Pratt School of Engineering.

Alice Dolbow, associate director of undergraduate admissions and organizer of the event, said the second annual Pratt In Focus hosted 136 students, approximately doubling last year's turnout.

"This program specifically focuses on the strengths of Pratt," she said. "But some of the things we really emphasize on presenting today are the opportunity for interdisciplinary study and students having second majors in [Trinity College of Arts and Sciences]."

Shannon Hayles, a prospective student from New York, said she came into Pratt In Focus still deciding between civil and mechanical engineering, but started to lean toward mechanical engineering after attending an information panel that discussed the available majors in Pratt.

Dolbow said the tours introducing participants to the facilities. which were given by Pratt students, prompted positive feedback from visitors and their parents.

Shannon Hannington, a parent of a Pratt In Focus attendee, said she found the lab presentations hosted by Pratt faculty very impressive.

"[The professors] were so open to talking, they seemed very enthusiastic [in regard] to teaching," she said.

Though most of the events of the day showcased the academic opportunities available to students, coordinators said they also scheduled a lunch with current Pratt undergraduates to give the prospective students a chance to learn about everyday life in the college.

Laura Hoover, a junior in civil and environmental engineering, said Pratt undergraduates gave up their Saturday and volunteered at the program to offer advice to visitors from a current student's perspective. "I remember what it's like being in high school and trying to figure out where you want to go, it's really stressful," she said. "So, I think it's really great for them to be able to hear the student's point of view on it."

After lunch, coordinators hosted a student life and activities fair to showcase the extracurricular options available for Pratt students.

Robyn Schwartzman, a prospective biomedical-engineering student from Maryland, said she became interested in the Society of Women Engineers and Engineers Without Borders after attending the fair. "The generalities that we saw earlier this morning were good too, but [the fair] helps you get a better focus," Schwartzman added.

Dolbow said she has already started working with coordinators to brainstorm ways to improve the event for next year.

"Given the positive feedback about the lab demonstrations, it would be great to provide more time for those," she said. "I also hope that next year we will be able to show visitors the [Home Depot] Smart Home."

Share and discuss “Prospective Pratt kids see campus” on social media.