Man slain in weekend stabbing at Northgate

A fatal knife attack inside Northgate Mall Saturday killed Keanan Odom, 22.

Police have issued a warrant for the arrest of Xavier Moore, 21, a suspect for the murder. Moore has not yet been located, police said.

The stabbing occurred at about 5:45 p.m. between Entrance Two and Entrance Three of the mall, in the area facing the Northgate Stadium 10 movie theater.

Odom was taken from the scene by an unidentified individual and died at Duke Hospital later Saturday, police spokesperson Kimberle Walker said in a statement.

Moore, of 1913 Essex Drive in Durham, was one of two people shot outside a Wendy's restaurant on South Miami Boulevard in May 2005, although crime reports show he was never before charged with a violent crime.

At the time of his death, Odom was out of jail on bail despite previous charges of murder in the two separate shooting deaths of Kashaun Patterson and Sesaley Hunter in 2005. Odom was scheduled to appear in court later this month.

Police blocked off the crime scene where investigators found blood Saturday and sectioned off several storefronts including GNC and Claire's. The facility was closed one hour early, at 8 p.m., after officers escorted customers out of the mall.

Police also closed off another area at the opposite end of the mall, near Sears, where the victim may have gone as he tried to leave the mall.

"I can't confirm that," Walker told The (Raleigh) News & Observer. "There is another crime scene."

Walker added that police had not identified a weapon used by the attacker but had a number of witness interviews from the scene of the murder.

Odom is the fourth person slain in or near Northgate Mall since 2002. The last fatality in Northgate occurred in December 2005.

Police have requested that individuals with information regarding the crime contact the Durham Crime Stoppers at 683-1200 or investigator Michelle Soucie of the Durham Police Department at 560-4440 ext. 274.

Share and discuss “Man slain in weekend stabbing at Northgate” on social media.