Duke looks to finish on high note

With only a third of the season remaining, head coach Ted Roof was pretty succinct when asked what he wanted to get out of the final four games.

"Ws," Roof said. "What's the saying, 'People remember November?' We need to continue to get better and improve."

Like his head coach, sophomore defensive lineman Ayanga Okpokowuruk wants to taste victory again in 2007, but he really would like for his senior teammates to experience a few more wins before their college playing days are over.

"I remember the feeling last year when we went 0-12, and just going out there with those guys who had been out there for so long. To end the season like that, I just felt like they deserved better," Okpokowuruk said. "I don't want the seniors this year to go out like that."

Okpokowuruk noted in particular his desire to pull through for some of his senior teammates who have experienced season-ending injuries.

The defensive end specifically mentioned his linemate Patrick Bailey-whose season was ended against Wake Forest-and fullback Tielor Robinson, saying the Blue Devils were anxious to send them out with a few more victories.

But for those who will be returning next year, Okpokowuruk also acknowledged the value of finishing the season with a strong kick of momentum, hoping that it will carry over to next season.

"If we had won against North Carolina last year, things would have been so much different," Okpokowuruk said. "We're trying to improve every week, and if we hit our peak right here at the end, that would be a really good morale boost for next year."

Lewis and Vaas team for success

Despite a recent offensive drought that has seen the Blue Devils slip to last place in the ACC in total offense, the unit led by quarterback Thaddeus Lewis has taken great strides this season under the direction of new offensive coordinator Peter Vaas.

Introducing a more pass-heavy spread attack has been one way that Vaas has tailored his offense to the skills of his sophomore quarterback. Lewis cited Vaas' unique coaching style as a great aid in his development this season into one of the league's more efficient signal callers.

"He put a burden on me and told me my job is to correct him," Lewis said. "An older guy telling a younger guy that your job is to correct him is something you look at, but when you go back and look at everything he's teaching, he's kind of teaching you things so you and him can be on the same page."

The pair may be on an equal footing in more than just that area, as Lewis revealed another similarity he shares with his coach: each has a cannon for an arm. The 55-year-old Vaas was a starting quarterback at Holy Cross during his college days and can often be seen throwing crisp, consistent deep balls to Blue Devil receivers before games.

"The first time I met Coach Vaas, he was like, 'Lets go out and warm up,'" Lewis said. "We went out there on the field and just throwing the ball I'm like, 'Man, you have a live arm.' He didn't take it easy or anything. He was like, 'Come on, we have to warm up.' He throws pretty hard."

Establishing the run still a key for Blue Devils

With Duke surrendering 86 defensive plays in comparison to their own 50 offensive snaps against Florida State, Roof quickly pointed out the Seminoles' ball control as an obvious factor in Duke's defeat last Saturday. FSU retained possession for 39:38 of the game, both wearing down Duke's defense and giving its offense little time to counter with scores of its own.

"Florida State ran 36 more plays than we did the other day," Roof said. "If you give up five yards a play, that's 180 yards of offense, which is probably about two touchdowns and a field goal, or at least 10 points."

To combat this effect against Clemson, Roof said it will be necessary to establish the ground game--something Duke has struggled to do all season. The Blue Devils currently rank dead last in the ACC in rushing yardage, averaging only 59.6 yards per game-a full 30 yards behind 11th-place N.C. State. For Roof, however, these past struggles do not discount the potential benefits of a successful rushing attack.

"We need to have some success running the football," Roof said. "Not only does it move the football, but it also controls the clock a little bit."

Unfortunately, this goal will be hampered by the loss of running back Ronnie Drummer, who is not expected to suit up against the Tigers. Drummer, who has 325 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns on the year, sustained a rib injury against the Seminoles.

"The injury that he has right now is very painful," Roof said. "Any time you start messing with those ribs, those are painful."

Share and discuss “Duke looks to finish on high note” on social media.