Black Affairs appointment questioned

At last week's Duke Student Government meeting, senior Genevieve Cody, vice president for community interaction, announced DSG's appointments to the President's Council on Black Affairs, junior Andrew Tutt and sophomore Katrina Henderson.

Some senators, however, have asked DSG to reconsider Tutt's appointment because of his lack of experience with the black community. The Senate must approve all appointments to the PCOBA.

PCOBA, one of several president's councils, is chaired by President Richard Brodhead and acts as an advocate for black students. Its membership includes DSG and Black Student Alliance members as well as faculty members and administrators.

BSA President Simone Randolph, who spoke at the meeting, said she was concerned over the representatives that had been appointed to PCOBA by DSG and wanted to make sure that the representatives would meet PCOBA's needs.

"There was some concern over whether DSG-selected representatives had any experience [with the black community]," Randolph, a senior, said in an interview. "We were looking for [experience] and we...weren't aware of those things in the DSG candidates."

The senate tabled the issue after debate because senators wanted to hear a response from Tutt, who was not present at the meeting. The issue may be taken off the table at next Wednesday's meeting.

According to the meeting minutes, Cody said although Tutt is white and not in BSA, he was the most impressive applicant with extensive knowledge of black affairs.

"He was the best candidate who came and he had a true academic understanding of what was going on, and because he's not a part of those groups he can provide a different perspective," Cody said in an interview.

She added that Tutt was treasurer of his high school's black student organization and is very active on campus. Cody also noted that only three students applied for the two DSG PCOBA seats.

Sophomore Awa Nur, a senator who voiced concern over the appointment, said DSG wanted to make sure that the most qualified candidate was appointed to PCOBA and for all students on the council to be involved with the black community.

"I would like to know what the person's record is with the black community, what they've contributed to, what are the forums they've contributed to that dealt specifically with the black community," she said.

Nur added that she didn't think the disagreement "was that big of a deal" because everyone involved seemed to have the same goals in mind.

"It seemed to turn racial for no reason," she said. "At the end of the day, my concerns were over the qualifications of one candidate."

Tutt said he applied to be on PCOBA because he saw an opportunity to promote diversity on campus. Although not actively involved with the black community, he said he will seek out opportunities to engage the black community as a member of PCOBA.

"I am not particularly connected to the black community at Duke, but I am certainly not disconnected from it," Tutt said. "Just because prior to my appointment to PCOBA I wasn't necessarily hanging out with the BSA and going to special events to seek out members of the black community doesn't mean that as a member of the council I won't do those things."

Tutt noted that his unique perspective on diversity issues makes him valuable to PCOBA.

"Diversity is a many-way street involving whites, blacks, Asians and all the people of many races and so to be a white member of the committee can only add to the dialogue of PCOBA," he said.

Randolph said she understood how someone not involved in BSA or black greek life could offer a valuable perspective on PCOBA. She added, however, that members are representatives of the black community and so dialogue with the community by PCOBA members is necessary.

"Even outside [black student groups] there are ways to interact and we were just asking what are the qualifications that DSG set for their applicants," Randolph said.

Tutt and Randolph will discuss the appointment in the two weeks the issue is on the table, said DSG President Paul Slattery, a senior. He added that this is the first time a DSG appointment to PCOBA has been tabled.

"[BSA] wanted to have a conversation with Andrew beforehand, which I think is an entirely fair concern for the BSA to raise concerning PCOBA," he said.

Share and discuss “Black Affairs appointment questioned” on social media.