Two abroad groups face questions

The New York Attorney General's office issued subpoenas to five study abroad providers last month in an investigation into possible incentives providers give to universities for attracting students.

Two of these providers, the Institute for Study Abroad at Butler University and the Arcadia University Center for Education Abroad, are on the Duke Office of Study Abroad's list of approved organizations.

N.Y. Attorney General Andrew Cuomo delivered the subpoenas in response to a story in The New York Times that disclosed the perks study abroad providers offer universities for directing students to them.

Critics claim these perks, which include discounted travel and cash bonuses for university officials, limit options for students and increase the price of studying abroad.

In response to the disclosures, the Office of Study Abroad recently underwent an informal review of Duke's policies, Provost Peter Lange said.

"When the [attorney general] in New York raises a set of issues and you don't want to get caught in whatever difficulties, you want to be sure you're behaving in an appropriate and responsible manner," he said.

He added that the informal review resulted in no indication of incentives or perks at the University.

This review was preceded by a formal internal audit in January and February of 2007, Associate Dean Margaret Riley, director of the Office of Study Abroad, wrote in an e-mail.

She said both her office and the providers it works with adhere to the same code of ethics.

The University does not solicit approaches from providers and its approval process is student-initiated, she added.

"The articles in The [New York] Times... have caused a variety of individuals to inquire about Duke's position regarding the issues raised," Riley said. "We have responded that our policies and procedures are ethical and legal, and do not involve the questionable practices outlined in the articles."

Riley added that the approved provider list will be made more broadly accessible and a statement of ethical practices will be posted reaffirming Study Abroad's policies.

"I believe that the investigations resulting from the subpoenas will determine that there are no illegal or unethical practices taking place," she said.

The subpoenas against ISA and CEA have not affected Duke's relationships with either, she added.

Lori Bauer, director of university relations at Arcadia, said CEA has received the subpoena and is complying with the attorney general. She added that CEA officials are "really confident" regarding conduct.

"At this point, [the subpoena] has not affected anything. We've been doing this for a long time and we have very transparent procedures," Bauer said. "In fact, many universities that we've worked with have been very supportive of us at this time."

She added that Arcadia has provided study abroad services for approximately 40 years and has a well-established reputation.

Providers offer participants logistical services to make it easier for students to take advantage of study abroad opportunities, Bauer said.

"Reputable study abroad institutions provide a valuable service by making academically robust programs available to colleges and universities which are not in a position to create their own programs," Riley said. "The relationship, therefore, is symbiotic."

Share and discuss “Two abroad groups face questions” on social media.