I'm a Bostock, first floor

Dearest freshmen:

You've experienced orientation week. You've survived your first night at Shooters. You've possibly even witnessed your first Tailgate. After that blissful two-week honeymoon period, reality hit: you're at Duke University-not Camp Duke. And that "University" designation inherently involves some level of work.

And frankly, that's not always easy-especially if you were the kind of student who "got by" in high school without doing much work. You're going to have to study, and you're going to have to study hard.

Lucky for you, I've been around the block when it comes to hot study spots on campus (and yes, study spots can be hot. this is Duke, remember?). As the somewhat experienced sophomore I am, I will now share my knowledge of homework havens (acquired mostly while trying to pass Math 103 last semester).

Dorm/Commons: This is the "I'm-too-lazy-to-travel" study option. Take advantage of that desk you've been piling all your free T-shirts onto until now. If your dorm doesn't have AC, amble down to the commons. Uncomfortable commons-room couches keep you wide awake while reading for Chem 21 or other similarly exciting subjects.

Lilly Library: The most logical study spot for freshmen, conveniently located between Alspaugh and Giles. I've actually only studied in Lilly once for about 15 minutes. I find the entire place rather gloomy for long hours of work. I recommend it instead for its lower level (very suitable for meeting in small groups) and for the extensive movie collection (much more economically enticing than Blockbuster).

Von der Heyden Pavilion: A glass-enclosed world unto itself, it's more classy than the library but less uppity than your average Starbucks. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the comfortable chairs, quaint tables or larger studying desks. Don't go there if you need complete silence, but if you plan on studying with a friend, it's perfect.

Alpine: If you can't stand the sounds of silence in the library and frankly, you'd like a little rhythm to accompany your frantic typing, then Alpine's the place for you. I speak of Alpine Atrium in the BC, but Alpine Bagel is a close second. These delightful dining spots offer great study locations (assuming you don't stop by during the lunch rush), some quality music and a comfortably hectic atmosphere. I find them ideal for long problem sets.

The Gothic Reading Room: Upstairs in Perkins, some students swear by this spot. I see it as a very traditional library setting: long tables surrounded by books. If you're into large reading rooms but prefer a more modern twist, check out the Carpenter Reading Room on third floor Bostock instead.

Alumni Lounge: Just down the hall from Chick-fil-A, this isn't the first place you'd think of as a study spot. Nonetheless, it's eerily quiet most of the time and rather comfortable: a great place to get work done and take advantage of the interruptions of passerby.

The Gardens: Honestly, you'd be a fool not to study in the Gardens at least once. They're beautiful and peaceful. Bring a blanket and lounge on the grass or tuck yourself under a tree on the edge of a bench: the opportunities are endless. Interestingly enough, this is the one study spot that could also double as a romantic rendezvous; however, I would not suggest utilizing it for both purposes simultaneously.

Bostock ("Bah-stock"): Regardless of your preferred pronunciation, this is the place to be. Deemed a "posh place to study" last year, its novelty has yet to wear off. The first floor has a continual hum of activity and a great selection of seating. Feel free to take a nap in the comfortable chairs (I've done it). Perkins first floor and the recently remodeled Perkins lower floor two offer similar spaces.

By no means is this an all-inclusive list; it is just meant to get you started. Believe me, you'll have plenty of opportunities in your four years here to discover your own favorite study spots. A word of warning: If you do find yourself in the stacks or Gardens, watch out for people fulfilling the "graduation requirements." Otherwise, use your time here to find your true self. I'm a Bostock, first floor-what are you?

Allie Vergotz is a Trinity sophomore. Her column runs every other Friday.

Share and discuss “I'm a Bostock, first floor” on social media.