football game notes

Duke defense struggles to get off the field in time-of-possession battle

Facing the nation's top rushing offense in Navy, the Blue Devils defense did a phenomenal job sticking to their assignments and wrapping up the ballcarrier... on first and second down. The Midshipmen were able to convert 12-of-19 third downs, though, even though Duke's defense forced an average of 7.39 yards-to-go.

This inability to stop Navy drives cost the Blue Devils dearly as the game went on, as the defense clearly got worn down near the end of the contest. The Midshipmen possessed the ball for nearly 36 minutes and ran 90 plays-35 more than Duke.

Oghobasse, Rey and Tauiliili post career performances

Defensive lineman Vince Oghobasse and linebackers Vincent Rey and Michael Tauiliili accounted for nearly 35 percent of the team's 105 total tackles. Oghobasse racked up 10 tackles in the first double-digit game of his career, while Rey and Tauiliili had 15 tackles each.

Rey and Oghobasse had the team's only two sacks and the trio combined for six and half of the team's nine tackles for a loss.

Navy punter gets the week off

The Midshipmen faced fourth down seven times during Saturday's contest, but never elected to punt the ball. Instead, Navy kicked four field goals, making three of them, and chose to go for it every other time. Although the Midshipmen converted fourth down just once, it helped continue a drive that eventually led to a key field goal.

In the third quarter, Navy's punt team came on for the first and only time of the game, but chose to fake it and ran the ball up the middle. The Blue Devils got the stop and took over inside Midshipmen territory. On its way to extending their 11-point lead even more, Duke coughed up the ball on a Re'quan Boyette fumble just outside Navy's red zone.

The Midshipmen's only other fourth down try resulted in a sack by Oghobasse and Rey.

Lewis and Riley crack open Blue Devil record books

The first quarter was a great preview of what was to come all game for quarterback Thaddeus Lewis and wideout Eron Riley. During that time, Lewis hooked up with Riley on two back-to-back 1-play drives for touchdowns of 76 and 35 yards.

By game's end, Lewis had passed for a career-high 428 yards-good for seventh all-time in a single game at Duke-and four touchdowns, plus one more on the ground. Riley hauled in six catches for 235 yards and four touchdowns, making him only the sixth Blue Devil to rack up more than 200 yards receiving in a single contest. Lewis' previous best was 305 yards set last year against Wake Forest and Riley's four scores tied a school record.

Kicking game questions still loom

After Joe Surgan missed an extra point opportunity on Duke's first drive, head coach Ted Roof went for two-point conversions on the team's next two drives. Greg Meyers, who came in for Surgan, missed a 31-yard attempt early in the fourth quarter of Saturday's contest. After the game, Roof said that there is "nothing permanent" in the personnel changes.

Share and discuss “football game notes” on social media.