DUU makes intros at 1st general body meeting

At Duke University Union's first general body meeting, members introduced the organization to the approximately 20 students-mostly freshmen-present and held discussions regarding programing ideas.

"It was a great brainstorming session to generate new ideas and also receive outside feedback on programs under consideration," DUU President Katelyn Donnelly, a senior, told The Chronicle after the meeting.

DUU officers came into the meeting with 13 programming ideas to be discussed, including new venue performances, keggerskating-an activity that combines kegs and rollerskating-creation of a microbrewery, visual art spaces and social-cause parties.

Among the more popular ideas with students were "Amazing Race," the microbrewery and hookah bars.

One student said DUU should host social-cause marches as well as social-cause parties, because the marches help raise awareness about serious issues.

Other new ideas students suggested were speed dating, school-wide beer pong tournaments and "Taste of Duke," a cultural food fair.

Freshman Chris Venters, a participant in DUU's Freshmen Intern Program, said he came away with a good impression of the Union.

"I just wanted to get a more broader view about what the programs of the DUU were like," he said. Venters added that he liked the ideas raised and was willing to participate in the programs.

In future meetings, Donnelly said she hopes students will continue to generate excitement and involvement in the arts on campus.

DUU officers also encouraged students to be active and take charge in making their ideas into real programs, even if the ideas are not fully thought-out. As long as students generate ideas, officers said they are willing to help them actualize the idea into a program.

"All students are technically in this organization if they want to be in it," said junior Rob Carlson, DUU vice president of internal affairs.

Carlson and the officers added that the application process to become a member of the Union is easy and is only used to understand people's strengths and interests.

The officers began the meeting by introducing DUU-with 14 existing committees-as the largest student-run organization on campus, with focuses on activity programming, positive impacts on campus social and intellectual culture and allowing members to gain experience in administrative work.

Share and discuss “DUU makes intros at 1st general body meeting” on social media.