SPORTS  |  GOLF

Duke to four stroke lead

In her season debut, Jennie Lee fired a 3-under-par 70 to pace Duke to a four-stroke lead over UCLA after Day 1 of the NCAA Fall Preview in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Collectively, the Blue Devils posted a total of five-under 287 on the first of three days of competition, with the Bruins in the clubhouse at 1-under 291 and USC lurking in third position at even-par 292.

On a day marked by shifting winds, Lee lit up the front nine at the University of New Mexico Championship Course, making the turn in 4-under 33. Highlights included birdies on the par-4 sixth and eighth holes and a 40-yard pitch-in for eagle on No. 5, a 515-yard par-5. The junior birdied the par-3 12th to temporarily move to 5-under, but two late bogeys spoiled her otherwise flawless round.

Duke head coach Dan Brooks was pleased to see Lee, a returning first-team All-American, back in top form.

"She's just a great player," said Brooks. "She's been a crucial part of the successes we've had over the last two years, so it's really nice to get her back in the lineup."

The only other Blue Devil to finish the day in red figures was Alison Whitaker, who stands tied for ninth place individually after a 2-under 71. Two-time National Player of the Year Amanda Blumenherst and Jennifer Pandolfi share 16th place after each player carded an opening-round 73.

Brooks sees only lower scores in store for his players entering the second round.

"I think their games could have produced some lower scores with a little more experience on this golf course," said Brooks. "Hopefully, what they learned today will help get us a few more birdies."

Share and discuss “Duke to four stroke lead” on social media.