SPORTS  |  GOLF

Duke in 4th after Round 2

For the second consecutive day, the Blue Devils played solid golf, putting themselves in fourth place in the TOPY Cup U.S.-Japan Intercollegiate Golf Championship in Fukushima, Japan.

Duke now sits at 8-under-par, 11 strokes off the lead, after firing a collective score of 568.

Wednesday at the Tanagura Densha Country Club, the Blue Devils were led by junior Clark Klaasen, who tied his career-best round with a 5-under 67. The junior from Grand Rapids, Mich. played a near-flawless round which included five birdies and zero bogies. Klaasen shot an even-par 72 on the first day, and now sits in a tie for sixth place individually at 5-under.

The only other Blue Devil to remain under-par Wednesday was senior Michael Schachner. Schachner fired a 2-under 70 for the second straight round, leaving him in a tie for ninth place individually. Schachner is one of just seven golfers to have played both rounds of the tournament under par.

Sophomore Adam Long struggled on the front nine, opening with three straight bogeys, but recovered nicely to finish his up-and-down day at even par. The Blue Devils' other two golfers, Jeff Edelman and Michael Quagliano, carded 75 and 77, respectively, after each played Day 1 at 1-under.

Alabama currently sits in first place at 19-under, and defending NCAA champion Stanford is just one stroke back. The Crimson Tide's Joseph Sykora is the tournament's individual leader with a combined two-day score of 11-under. Sykora fired a 6-under 66 Wednesday.

Share and discuss “Duke in 4th after Round 2” on social media.