Buying in, not selling out

You do not have to choose between "saving the world" and "selling out." Each of us has important decisions to make as we prepare to leave Duke-whether for a summer or for the rest of our lives-and the advice we receive often suggests that doing good and making money are mutually exclusive pursuits.

Friends heading on free-spirited backpacking trips urge you to follow in their footsteps, literally. Sophomores planning service-learning projects and seniors joining Teach for America or the Peace Corps warn that now is your last, best opportunity to do volunteer work. Enthusiastic professors encourage you to join their ranks, reminding you that few other careers include research funding and blue jeans.

Others, however, strongly suggest you get a job or-better yet-a professional degree. Ever since I convinced my dad that med school and law school are not in my future, he has not stopped asking me where I'll get my MBA. Years of bills from the bursar can make earning back some of those dollars seem like an obligation, not an opportunity. Many students end up feeling that they have to choose between their deeply held ideals and financial security, between serving others and saving for retirement.

That perception couldn't be more wrong.

Today's fast-changing career paths and globalized world offer an inconceivably vast range of opportunities for putting our talents and Duke education to best use, in the service of society. Some of those opportunities-surprise!-come with a decent salary. You do not have to choose between making money and "Making a Difference." If you want to, do both! Instead of thinking of yourself as "selling out," think of yourself as "buying in."

I respect the dedication of my classmates headed for years of service in the United States or abroad, for decades of political activism or for a lifetime of research and teaching. We, as a society, need your invaluable contributions, and I admire your choices.

But not everyone's talents are best suited to on-the-ground work in developing countries. If you have been dreaming in double helixes since you found out what "DNA" stands for, a biotechnology firm may have a job with your name on it. If you have every company in the S&P 500 memorized, Wall Street may be the place for you. Choose a career that makes the most of your individual interests and abilities.

Do not discount the contributions to society you can make in the field that inspires your passion. The United States-and modern life as we know it-are built upon the successes of innovators and entrepreneurs, of people whose hard work and talent make our world go around. We, as a society, need your important contributions.

You, too, are "buying in."

Remember, however, that "buying in" is not a passive act. Membership in human society is your birthright, but productive membership is your responsibility. "Buying in" means not only making the most of your gifts but also taking advantage of your individual talents and resources to give back to your community. Take on some cases pro bono. Mentor an at-risk teen. Starting with your first paycheck, make philanthropy a lifelong habit. You are not "selling out"-as long as you are striving, in your work and outside of it, to make our world a better place. Make a name for Duke graduates in charity and commerce alike, and everyone will benefit from your efforts.

As the academic year draws to a close, students breathe a collective sigh of relief. Yet leaving Duke brings another hard but deeply rewarding challenge: sharing what we have learned here with the world. Wherever you are headed, good luck! The wealth of intelligence and potential I have seen in my fellow students never ceases to amaze me. Just imagine what a contribution we could make if we all capitalize on our unique gifts by truly "buying in."

Meg Bourdillon is a Trinity senior. She is a long-time University staff writer and current senior editor for The Chronicle.

Share and discuss “Buying in, not selling out” on social media.