Understanding sexual assault

Today is the last day of Sexual Assault Prevention Week, sponsored annually by Sexual Harassment And Rape Prevention peer educators, Sexual Assault Support Services, the Women's Center and many other campus supporters. This week has been hosted for many years, yet the issue of sexual assault remains somewhat divisive. Because of the emotions and controversies currently surrounding the University, I feel it is necessary to state explicitly that this article has nothing specifically to do with the Duke lacrosse incident. Rather, this article is written to address a real social issue, sexual assault. In our community, I hope that we united in understanding three things: 1) Sexual assault happens; 2) It is harmful; 3) We should stop sexual violence.

Racial and sexual minorities on this campus and beyond may feel excluded by the continued national media focus on heterosexual white women's stories. Additionally, both men and women of all racial backgrounds and sexual orientations may feel attacked on the issue for various reasons, wondering how sexual assault relates to them and what they can do about it. Despite the divisiveness of this issue, all of us who believe in the three points about sexual assault are actually on the same side as advocates against this pervasive problem.

1) Sexual assault happens. Since the lacrosse incident, there has been slinging of sexual statistics back and forth by both sides. Some claim a certain number of people will be sexually assaulted, some claim a certain number of people will falsely claim sexual assault. But if we all agree that sexual assault happens, then why argue about "To whom?," "How much?" and "How often?" Whatever your statistics are, if sexual assault is happening, we should be aware and work to make it stop. Furthermore, we can deduce that it happens to many different kinds of people, regardless of ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, gender, socioeconomic status, etc. We should approach sexual assault as a reality that merits our anger, attention and support.

2) It is harmful. By definition, sexual assault is any sexual act perpetrated against someone's will, without their consent or when they are unable to freely give consent. What makes sexual assault harmful is the victims' trauma knowing that someone has violated their rights and their bodies in a sexually violent way. Alcohol is often a complicating factor in sexual assaults because it impedes people's ability to protect themselves and make responsible decisions, and it complicates things when both people are drunk. Sexual assault is about violation and violence, not about drunken and/or regrettable sex. Events like SAPW are held to acknowledge the experience, journey and survival of people who have been traumatized by their experiences of being disempowered, violated and abused.

3) We should stop sexual violence. While sexual assault is a complex social phenomenon with many contributing factors, there are a few simple things we can all do to decrease sexual assault on our campus and beyond. The most straightforward way is understanding that "No" means "No," "Stop" means "Stop" and someone about to pass out or vomit from alcohol intoxication cannot give consent. I also propose that we try to stop people who take advantage of the vulnerable: Don't be afraid to intervene if you think someone may be at risk. Follow your instincts, ask questions if needed and don't be afraid to ask for help. Believe anyone who tells you they've been sexually assaulted, be they friends, family or even strangers. Sexual assault cases are difficult to bring forward and prove because of the fear, anger, shame, guilt and/or pain that survivors feel. It is important to consider that no matter how many times someone has had consensual sex, that doesn't mean that they can't say "no" or that anyone can ignore them when they do. Given that sexual assault is indisputably a real and a negative experience, survivors should be treated with support and a nonjudgmental attitude. This will encourage victims to speak out, which in turn will decrease the silence and incidence of assaults. We should aspire toward a world where everyone can feel safe.

Sometimes the best we can do is raise awareness so that more people understand these three points. As SAPW ends, learn to talk about these difficult issues, support survivors and come to the Take Back The Night March and Speak-Out. As members of the Duke community, we can work to create a world without sexual violence.

Soyee Li is a Trinity sophomore and a member of the SHARP peer education group at Duke Student Health.

Share and discuss “Understanding sexual assault” on social media.