Tech Review: Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection is a near-perfect port of the arcade fighter to the PlayStation 3. But is there enough substance to this sequel to make it out of the cave?

The short answer is yes. At $19.99, the game is a bargain, and can be downloaded at any time from PlayStation Online. While there are a few drawbacks, there are more than enough new features to make it worth the money.

The main letdown is a general lack of story and practice modes. Most character endings are removed, and the single player game feels just like the arcade version.

That said, the real value of a console fighting game is in its Vs. Mode. If players will enjoy beating on their friends for any extended period of time, the developers have done their jobs. In this light, Dark Resurrection is a clear success.

The game plays much better than its predecessor. The control system is simple to learn and easy to master and an enhanced character roster makes it easy to find a fighter you connect with. Characters' fighting styles are quite diverse, increasing the game's replay value as players have to adjust to unique combinations.

Graphics are an improvement over the PlayStation 2 version, though not quite up to next-gen standards. That said, the addition of a customizable character creation system adds much needed flavor to the action. Players are given the chance to use points acquired in Vs. and Arcade modes to purchase outfits and craft their own takes on Tekken favorites.

While not quite a full sequel, Dark Resurrection is a solid, stand-alone fighter well worth its price tag.

Share and discuss “Tech Review: Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection” on social media.