Dukies set out to study Pacific volcanoes

Several Duke researchers embarked on an expedition Sunday to study volcanoes in the Pacific Ocean by using a robot similar to those used to explore other planets.

The research project, which is set to run for approximately one month and involves scientists from other universities, will study a portion of the ocean off the coast of South America where underwater volcanoes are spewing lava to cover the ocean floor.

"This is an unusual area, in that a great deal of geophysical work has been done here," said Emily Klein, the lead researcher of the study and Duke professor of earth and ocean sciences. "We are interested in exploring this area where the chains of volcanoes are offset from each other to form an overlapping ridge."

While at sea, the scientists hope to verify several assumptions made by geologists about how underwater magma chambers release lava.

Currently, experts predict that wide-opening volcanoes produce large eruptions, and shallow volcanoes produce lava less frequently and in small amounts.

"This area has both wide, shallow volcanoes and narrow, anemic volcanoes, so it is the perfect place to test the relationships of what we see on the ocean floor in comparison to what we see on the earth's surface."

Because the underwater volcanoes are too deep for divers and delicate instruments, Klein and her fellow researchers will use a sophisticated robot named Jason II to take measurements and observations on the ocean floor.

Jason II is equipped with a number of high-resolution camera systems, mechanical arms and a variety of potential add-ons that enable those above the water to accurately observe the ocean's floor.

The robot is unique because it can stay underwater longer than a submarine can, and scientists can manipulate it so that they are able to see exactly what the robot views.

"The kinds of tools that we use on these robots to study the remote regions of the ocean floor are the same kinds of tools that we use to explore other planets," Klein said. "Jason II has some of the same components as planetary vehicles we've used in the past."

Even though the main focus of the Pacific expedition is to explore the volcanoes at the bottom of the ocean, Klein said many potential practical benefits could also arise from the exploration.

The areas researchers are exploring are places where ore deposits are found, so they could provide useful information for mining companies. The minerals at these sites are unique and can support various different forms of life.

In addition, mid-ocean ridges like the one being studied are where hydrothermal vents are located and could provide evidence related to how life originally evolved on earth.

"A long time ago, people thought that all life depended on the sun and all life had to be pretty near the surface," Klein said.

"We now know that rich ecological communities are not dependent on the sun but rather on biochemical energy released through hydrothermal vents like those near the area we are studying," she said.

Klein added that observing life forms in this type of habitat could shed light on how life could have evolved on other planets, noting that extraterrestrial life might exist in a similar environment.

Share and discuss “Dukies set out to study Pacific volcanoes” on social media.